REMINDER: Comment for a chance to win Sunday's drawing of a $10 Amazon eGift certificate and some Mardi Gras swag. See righthand column for more info.
1. My crit partner is a freakin' genius. Check out Wastepaper Prose for a new series where more than thirty authors answer a series of always interesting/sometimes provocative questions. But don't go over there before you comment on this blog if you want to win stuff!
Okay, actually that wasn't the No. 1 thing I learned this week because I already knew that. So.
1-B. Don't sign up for four workshops at once because you might get sick from the ginormous clouds of pollen in the air and not feel like keeping up.
2. Writing a short, one-paragraph summary of your novel-in-progress does help keep it focused.
3. It's really hard to write a killer first sentence. Actually, I already knew that, but I got a reminder this week.
4. Nice guys can be really boring. With apologies to my character Galen, who's gonna have to go darker.
5. My day job, Auburn Magazine won a "gold" medal for magazine publishing improvement from the national trade org, the Council for the Advancement and Support of Education in Washington, DC. Just found out today. Woo-hoo!
Now, what did YOU learn this week?