Friday, September 2, 2011

Urban Fantasy Review & Contest: WHITE TIGER, by Kylie Chan


Everybody’s looking for a new urban fantasy spin these days, so I was excited to see this new trilogy start up (well, new to the U.S., although I think it’s been out in Australia for a while)—full of dragons and demons and martial arts, set in Hong Kong. The first book in the Dark Heavens series by Kylie Chan is White Tiger, which comes out this week. Next month will come Red Phoenix, and then in October will be the final book, Blue Dragon. Kind of cool not to have to wait six months or a year between books.

Want to win a copy? Read on!

THE OFFICIAL BLURB: A young woman accepts a position as nanny to the young daughter of a handsome, wealthy, and mysterious Chinese businessman—only to discover her new employer is really a god…and every foul demon in creation is out to destroy him! With a premise like that, fantasy aficionados and die-hard action lovers alike will no doubt be expecting something exceptional—and Australian author Kylie Chan delivers big time! White Tiger is the first book in Chan’s trilogy that blends magic, martial arts, and urban fantasy with a healthy dollop of paranormal romance thrown in to sweeten the pot.

MY THOUGHTS: I ended up really, really liking White Tiger and am looking forward to the sequel. This despite an early problem with the heroine Emma, who’s a 28-year-old Australian working in Hong Kong as an English teacher. She’s a tough nut to warm up to, but the thing I chafed over was the fact that she’s been working (and half-crushing) on the sexy single father for a while and until he offers her a full-time job it never occurs to her to wonder why he comes home from “work” carrying a sword? I dunno, seems like I’d wonder about that on day...one, maybe.
            Still, moving past that little niggly thing, this is a great story with a different set of mythologies, an unusual setting, and a not-so-kickass, not-so-sexy heroine who turns out to be way more than anyone expects. Chan’s writing is sharp and authoritative, and before too long I’m kinda crushing on John Chen as well. It’s two-thirds urban fantasy and one-third romance, so a nice blend of the two genres. All in all, a good start to a new trilogy without a long wait for the second and third books.

Want to win an ARC of White Tiger? You know the routine: +1 for comment, +1 for blog follow, +1 for Twitter follow @Suzanne_Johnson, and +1 for Tweet or Retweet. Now, make your choice!

18 comments:

  1. Something a little different. Sounds pretty neat. Would love to scope this out

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds interesting :)

    +1 comment
    +1 blog follow bhand35
    +1 twitter follow bhand35
    +1 RT

    mystery_dreams35@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like a greta combo! I would love to read it.
    +comment
    +GFC Teril
    +twitter

    terilhack at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a really interesting (in a good way) book..different from my usual reads so would love to win:P

    +1 comment
    +1 blog follower
    +1 twitter follower (HolzX92)

    holz_twilight@msn.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd love to play please.

    +1 comment
    +1 blog follow
    +1 twitter follow

    lesly7ch(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, this one? It's coming out next week? Yesyesyes! I've been looking forward to it—and yes, I'd like to enter my name in the draw. :)

    +1 comment
    +1 follower
    +1 Twitter follower
    +1 retweeted

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't get the problem. My husband comes home with a sword every night (or maybe he's just glad to see me).

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL, yes, Teri--BUT you notice that he has a sword, at least. If he'd been coming home with that big old thing dangling out of his hands for a year and you hadn't noticed it...well, his ego might be hurt :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Please enter me.

    +1 comment
    +1 follower
    sgiden at verizon.net

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh, new twists and urban fantasies are always a plus! =)

    +1 for comment
    +1 for blog follow (May-Day Aura)
    +1 for Twitter follow (@MayDay_Aura
    +1 for Tweet: http://twitter.com/#!/MayDay_Aura/status/109731849273737216

    rachel.danae226@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG, Suzanne! I literally just posted a review about White Tiger saying how I loved it :) I need to get my hands on the next two books - it's just too cool for school
    Entering because I need to pass the love, and the arc was from Netgalley.
    +1 comment
    +1 follower
    impy80 at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Magic, martial arts and demons.

    Certainly a new mix for me and I would like to give it a try.

    Thanks for the giveaway.

    Carol T

    buddytho {at} gmail DOT com

    +1 for commnt
    +1 I Follow via GFC - buddyt

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sounds pretty good!

    +1 comment
    +1 follow

    snifflykitty@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like an interesting read.

    +1 comment
    +1 GFC follower
    +1 twitter (beckerjo)
    +1 tweet
    http://twitter.com/#!/beckerjo/status/109818851155390467

    ReplyDelete
  15. Seen this book around, but never picked it up... its sounds pretty good - something I'd read:)

    +1 blog follower
    +1 Twitter follower (tfwalsh)
    +1 Tweeted
    http://twitter.com/#!/Suzanne_Johnson/status/109629057167147008
    +1 comment

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh no, now I need to add another author to my buy list. My to be read pile just gets bigger & bigger. This does sound interesting. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I would like to read this book and the setting is one I haven't read in a while.

    +1 comment
    +1 gfc follower
    Cambonified (at) yahoo (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  18. C.E. Murphy: "Wayfinder" = Another cover with a staff. An enchanted and malevolent staff... I need a staff...

    ReplyDelete