Well, today was a first. I was totally stood up by a guest author. So, what does someone do when faced with an empty blog page and no backup plan?
Run a contest, of course!
So, let's play a game. Match the first two sentences of the book with the correct title...and, yeah, sure you can cheat :-) Everyone who has all the answers right will be entered to win all the books. All. of. them. Let's get started!
1. Natalie Fleming had done the impossible, and she couldn't quite believe it. But as she stood there with her hands on her hips surveying the gleaming storefront of Scrumptuous, she knew it was true.
2. Behind you the module burns. Before you....Cold.
3. I've been locked up for 264 days. I have nothing but a small notebook and a broken pen and the numbers in my head to keep me company.
4. The air had a brutal edge to it as I stood outside of Love the Bean, the local free-trade coffee shop. Snow from a recent storm had frozen over in the subsequent days' chill, leaving the roads and the sidewalks in town slick and hazardous.
5. "You're all going to die!" A vulture, perched on a granite gargoyle guarding the double doors, flapped his large wings.
6. The car was black. Black body shell, black wheels, black bumpers, black windows.
7. It was an anniversary of sorts. The anniversary of her death.
Well, weren't those illuminating? I'll help you cheat by giving you links to the books where one might be able to read the first lines.
A. SHATTER ME, by Tahereh Mafi
B. HOLD ME IF YOU CAN, by Stephanie Rowe
C. BLACK JACK, by Lora Leigh
D. THE RESTORATION GAME, by Ken MacLeod
E. A DEMON DOES IT BETTER, by Linda Wisdom
F. PLANESRUNNER, by Ian McDonald
G. A BEAUTIFUL DARK, by Jocelyn Davies
Note: Some of these are ARCs. You know the drill....Comment/answers for one entry. If you'd like extra entries, follow the blog for one, follow me on Twitter for a second, and Tweet the contest for a third. Ready, set, cheat!