Friday, October 19, 2012

Guest Post: S.G. Rogers, Literary Bonsai, & TOURNAMENT OF CHANCE

Quick commercial message: I'm at the Heroes and Heartbreakers website today, talking (yes, very tongue-in-cheek) about the Top 10 Love Stories by Stephen King. Check it out!


Today, I’m pleased to welcome author S.G. Rogers to Preternatura to talk about her new fantasy novel TOURNAMENT OF CHANCE—and you’ll have a chance to win a copy—although it’s on sale through October 21 at Smashwords for 99 cents (use code AC57D)! Check it out. You can read more about her at her website.

ABOUT TOURNAMENT OF CHANCE:

When a beautiful commoner enters the Tournament of Chance archery competition, her thwarted victory sparks a revolution in the oppressive kingdom of Destiny. Although Heather never believed the legends about the restoration of Ormaria, after three shape-shifting Ormarian wizards awaken from a long magical slumber, she joins their perilous quest to regain the throne. Heather battles vicious predators and angry trolls to free the wizards’ magic, but at a horrendous cost. She is unexpectedly torn from the arms of the man she loves and hurled back in time to fulfill a prophecy not yet written. The ensuing maelstrom tests Heather’s survival skills, wits, and endurance. Will she become an unwritten footnote in history, or can she trust the magic to lead her back to her one true love?

Now, let’s hear from the author—welcome!

Literary Bonsai – The Shaping of Tournament of Chance
S.G. Rogers 

When I wrote Tournament of Chance, I didn’t start out to write a speculative fiction piece.  It began as a short story about a girl who enters an archery contest, hoping to win a royal title and a place at court. The narrative ended just as a revolution begins, cutting off the story right when the action was getting good.  

I put the manuscript aside for a while to work on other things, but then I decided to develop Tournament into a full-length manuscript. This may sound odd, but when I constructed the background story, I was surprised to discover magic and shape-shifting wizards were involved.  When I’m writing, it often feels as if I’m pruning a literary bonsai tree. I take what is there and shape it over time into something with a pleasing shape. This is how fairies, trolls, time-travel, and dragons ultimately found their way into the novel… along with a slightly arrogant prince who is far too attractive for his own good.
 
My hope is that readers want to take a journey with plucky Heather of the Jagged Peaks, as she fights for her happily-ever-after against all odds.  Whether love can span the gulf of time will depend on one thing – is the magic itself alive?

Excerpt:
Tears slid down Heather’s face. Her arrow had shattered the Dragonstone, but in doing so had also torn her heart asunder.

“I’ve done more than my duty,” she said out loud — as if the magic were listening. “I’ve warned the Ormvalders, and that will have to be enough. I haven’t anything left to give.”

An ancient dragon stirred nearby, startling Heather. She’d mistaken him for a pile of rocks. A shock of recognition ran through her when she recognized the distinctive patch of silver on his forelock.

“Pan? Is it really you?”

The dragon snorted with laughter. “I’ve been waiting for you, Heather. Liam Ormvalder gave me the gift of prophecy. Listen well. There is treachery, deceit, and great loss ahead of you, but wherever you go, your heart will follow.”

“My heart will follow?” Heather echoed. “What does that mean?”

But in the blink of an eye, Pan was gone, and the pile of rocks was just a pile of rocks. Bewildered, Heather was left to wonder if she’d imagined the whole thing.

Now available in all e-formats from Musa Publishing HERE. Also available at Amazon. Coming soon to BN.com and wherever fine e-books are sold. To see the book trailer, click HERE

12 comments:

  1. Thanks for allowing me to guest on your blog, Suzanne!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for being here! Enjoyed your guest post :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I love dragons and the cover is quite stunning! Thanks for sharing!!

    bookedandloadedATgmailDOTcom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Annie. I really love the cover too!

      Delete
  4. Wow the book sounds great. I so love the excerp. This will be one I will have to read.
    I loved how the Dragon gave the prophecy.

    Thank you for visiting today, and thank you Suzanne for having S.G.

    Teresa K.
    tcwgrlup41(at)yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teresa, thanks for reading my excerpt and leaving a comment. I really appreciate it!

      Delete
  5. Hi all,

    Very cool cover, Suzanne. Love talking dragons, so I was quite taken with your excerpt. Wishing you all the best with Tournament of Chance.

    Maggie
    http://mudpiesandmagnolias.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the good wishes, Maggie. And thanks for stopping by to read my post. :-D

      Delete
  6. As many others, have said, the cover is really nice!

    ReplyDelete