Friday, October 12, 2012

Preternatura Books Club: Beast and Jane and Oatmeal


Welcome back to the Preternatura Book Club in a rare Friday appearance! We'll be talking about topics that are related to the book we're reading but are general enough for you to pipe up and voice an opinion.

Each book read will last four weeks, which is a much faster schedule than we've done on previous books. Today, we devote our last post to SKINWALKER, book one in the Jane Yellowrock series by Faith Hunter. Next week, on Wednesday, we’ll be moving to the world of Jim Butcher’s Dresden series. This is my all-time favorite urban fantasy series, and while STORM FRONT is (like most first books in any series) not my favorite, it’s a good introduction to people new to the Dresdenverse.

Today’s giveaway will be a mystery unclaimed prize of your choice of genre: paranormal romance, urban fantasy, sci fi, fantasy, or YA.

I’m really enjoying Beast, and the interplay between Beast and Jane.  It cracks me up when Beast sends images (like of raw steaks) to Jane while she’s in the middle of conversations. We're also getting more information about how Jane and Beast came to occupy the same body--and that it was Jane's doing.

I still have a couple of chapers to go, but what’s the deal with the oatmeal? Does that get explained? I know Beast eats the raw meat, and then Jane eats…oatmeal. Complex carbs to offset all the iron-rich protein? And prodigious amounts of oatmeal. It’s strange to me.

I found the scene where Jane goes after the Rogue in the underground tunnels just totally creepalicious, and then the whole vampire bleeding thing in the cemetery while Jane is in raptor/owl form. In fact, while I love a good, sexy vampire, I think one of the things I love about the vampires in this world is that they’re still dangerous. Unpredictable. Powerful. Leo…Rogue…even the vamps’ human servants are powerful.

Eventually, I’d like to continue reading this series. I have too much on my plate right now, but I’ve gotten really interested in this world. For those of you who are Jane Yellowrock fans, how does this first book stack up against the next ones?

Share your final thoughts on SKINWALKER to enter for the book drawing! Next week, we’ll enter a whole new world in magical Chicago as we begin Jim Butcher’s Storm Front. The reading schedule for the book club can now be found on the righthand column of the blog page.

18 comments:

  1. I love this series. I think Skinwalker is a good indication of what the other books are like - they're just as good. I think the Jane/Beast relationship gets very interesting, you slowly learn more about Jane's past, and her relationships with those around her become more complex. Hunter really develops this world and her characters. Would love to know what you think about the others if you get the chance! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh the beast wasn't part of her since birth, interesting. i really have to try this series one day, i enjoyed discovering this world thanks to theses posts

    ReplyDelete
  3. Guess I'll have to put this one on my TBR pile.

    +1 comment
    +1 blog follower
    +1 twitter follower
    +1 RT
    smeek1958
    susanDOTmeekATaaaokDOTorg

    ReplyDelete
  4. This hasn't been one of my favorite books. Not sure if I'll continue with this series but if I do it'll be at some time in the future. I just have to much on my TBR pile.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've really enjoyed this series, but I have to admit that I wasn't too thrilled with Mercy Blade, which I believe was the book before FH's latest, Death's Rival. Apparently Death's Rival is kickass, though, so I'm willing to give the series another try. I really like Jane's character, and Beast is hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found the first novel just okay....I'm not sure if I will continue readind this serie.

    +1 comment

    Glassheart18ca@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have been a big fan of the Jane Yellowrock series. Like the "inher" Beast! Yellowrock = Gold? Really think each book is better than the last. Oatmeal, don't know except maybe Faith Hunter really likes it as she does tea. Looking forward to reading Jim Butcher's Storm Front which has been on my TBR pile for a long time. [TOO many books!]

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this series - and it only gets better! I think oatmeal would be an offset from the raw meat and filling as well. And hey on the off chance I win I go for PR or UF!
    +1 comment
    +1 blog follower emal kerryjcj@verizon.net
    +1 twitter follower @kerryjcj
    +1 RT
    https://twitter.com/kerryjcj/status/256830800773922816

    kerryjcj@verizon.net

    ReplyDelete
  9. The relationship between Beast and Jane will keep me coming back to this series, along with Jane's background and heritage.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The relationship would be worth continuing to read the series.

    The focus on the oatmeal is a little odd.

    I follow the blog.

    bn100candg(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I finished it earlier this week and thought that it was alright. I didn't get the oatmeal thing either, I mean she made it with water as well so it's not going to be especially high in calories is it? The arguments with beast were interesting, and I liked how Beast defnitely had a mind and ideas of her own. I totally didn't guess what the big bad was at the end either!
    gfc - sarah elizabeth
    twitter: @bookworm_sarah
    i tweeted: https://twitter.com/bookworm_sarah/status/256849945024409601

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the comments, everyone! I was at a writers conference all day and for some reason I can read comments on my iPhone but it won't let me reply to them. I have no doubt it's operator error :-)

    I'm finishing up the book tonight and I did enjoy it and would like to read more in the series eventually.

    Meanwhile, we'll dig into Jim Butcher's Storm Front next Wednesday and I'm excited about that. I do love me some Harry Dresden!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Once I read Skinwalker I was hooked and I've enjoyed each successive book just as much. I agree that the vampires are dangerous and that's why I like them too. They're very unpredictable, one minute they're helping Jane and the next you think they're going to attack her. I hope you get a chance to read more of the series, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

    Barbed1951 at aol dot com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've enjoyed the Skinwalker series. The books do get better as you read them, but that might be because I'm more invested in each book and character.

    I haven't read the last two books yet, but I plan to.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really like this series but I wasn't too happy with the fourth book, Raven Cursed. I'm still trying to decide if I should read the fifth.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Okay, let's say that I really liked the book. Not my favourite series, but not so bad as I first thought. I will surely keep reading

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beast sounds like so much fun, definitely a series I would love to start on

    ReplyDelete
  18. haven't read the series yet, in fact she's a new for me author..

    ReplyDelete