Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Preternatura Books Club: Humor and Sex with Harry Dresden


Welcome back to the Preternatura Book Club! We'll be talking about topics that are related to the book we're reading but are general enough for you to pipe up and voice an opinion.

First, a quick notice: Today is the last official tour stop for Susannah Sandlin's ABSOLUTION tour, so the last day to enter to win the Kindle Paperwhite or $100 gift card to the online book retailer of your choice. You can find the URL here

Also, I'm at Heroes & Heartbreakers today, talking about how to dress as your favorite urban fantasy heroine for Halloween. Spray tan and motor oil, anyone?

Each book read will last four weeks, which is a much faster schedule than we've done on previous books. Today, we continue reading STORM FRONT, book one in the Harry Dresden series by Jim Butcher. This is probably my all-time favorite urban fantasy series, and while STORM FRONT is (like most first books in series) not my favorite, it’s a good introduction for people new to the Dresdenverse. This series just gets better and better so if you even kind of like Storm Front, keep going!

Today’s giveaway will be a mystery unclaimed prize of your choice of genre: paranormal romance, urban fantasy, sci fi, fantasy, or YA.

This week, we get further into the mystery of Storm Front, as Harry keeps piling up clues that don’t seem to come together. Several suspects are popping up, from Gentleman Johnny Marcone the mobster to Bianca the vampire to Morgan, the wizard all too anxious to see Harry executed.  Then there’s the drug war with “ThreeEye.”

What we’ve seen of Harry’s magic also continues to grow, as we see some of the energy he can channel through his wizard’s staff as he defends himself and Susan Rodriguez against the toad demon.

But what I think really shines in these middle chapters is the humor. It’s very tongue-in-cheek, very self-deprecating. Harry just cracks me up. I haven’t read this first book in the series in a while so I’d forgotten some things—for example, that Susan Rodriguez guzzles the love potion instead of the escape potion, and then is trapped inside the magic containment circle with a naked Harry. Caught in the middle of washing his hair, Harry is not only naked but has shampoo running in his eyes through half of the scene. Okay, I laughed aloud, and it reminded me how much I love Harry.

There are also several scenes that shows just how inept Harry is with women. He interviews the hooker/chauffeur and is easily distracted. There’s Susan and all her many charms. And Murphy. Karrin Murphy and Harry have a great relationship, and we get a good look at it here when he passes out in her office and she drives him home and puts him to bed. He drives her nuts (and, often, vice-versa), but there’s an affection and respect between them no matter what happens.

So…. thoughts about Storm Front or the Dresden universe? Things you like or don’t like about the book so far? Comment to be entered for the book giveaway. Let’s chat!

20 comments:

  1. I was concerned with the Harry books until Ghost Story... now I am back to being hooked! Great read-a-long idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Sheila! Ghost Story absolutely floored me and I think it took a lot of guts for Jim Butcher to write it. Now I've preordered Cold Days for late November!

      Delete
  2. The book club read of Storm Front is the first I've read in the Dresdenverse. I like it so far. Have the first seven books and plan to continue the adventure.
    Some of the scenes just made me laugh out loud. Harry sure has a way with getting into a bad spot. Fun to see how he gets out of these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you're enjoying it, Roger! I'd forgotten about the soap and the love potion and it made me laugh out loud too. Harry is forever getting himself in ridiculous situations :-)

      Delete
  3. i think i will perhaps try this book and series but even after this book club read it's not on top of my list ( higher that it was yes but i'm still hesitant)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many books to read! This series is awesome but it's kind of overwhelming when you look at how many of them there are. Book 14 comes out November 27, and I'm two books behind!

      Delete
  4. I have this book just hadn't gotten around to reading it yet. After reading this post I am going to have to take the time to read it. Sounds great.

    Larena

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great series, Larena--if you like "straight" urban fantasy (minus romance for the most part), it's one of the best.

      Delete
  5. I love how Harry always, always has a soft spot for women...it's so difficult for him to say no to them - but he always tries to behave like a gentleman...oh, yes I am reminded of my long time soft spot for Harry! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Harry can't resist the ladies....he just doesn't know what to do with them when he gets them. Although there was a kind of hot scene in one of the later books...hm....

      Delete
  6. I still have not started reading this series, and I really was planning to keep pace with you Susannah. Perhaps next week ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll be on this one through mid-November...there's time to catch up!

      Delete
  7. I agree with you about the humor in these books. Sometimes you have to just laugh out loud (hard to explain in the lunchroom). I can't wait to see what else Butcher has in store for Harry!
    +1 comment
    +1 blog follower
    +1 twitter follower

    susanDOTmeekATaaaokDOTorg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's one of the great things about this series...I think Jim Butcher has done a great job in keeping it fresh.

      Delete
  8. i always love reading scenes when the hero goes fumbling about in front of women. so fun to read

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree! Especially since so many of the heroes are alpha male-do not wrong types. Harry is a breath of fresh air :-)

      Delete
  9. I like Harry's ineptness with women. I think it makes him more realistic and more like able.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like that his magic is continuing to grow and that he's funny and kind of relatable.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I almost finished the book and OMG I didn't think I would have liked it SO MUCH! Harry is such a great character, so realistic and funny, at times. And the writing... I fell slowly in love with it, but boy, now I need more

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it awesome? I love this series. And the books just keep getting better :-)

      Delete