Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Q&A with #PNR Author Susannah Sandlin (& W*n Redemption & Absolution Audiobooks)


Today, I’d like to welcome guest interviewer, vampire Will Ludlam of Penton, Alabama, who has slipped away from the turmoil of his town, which is embroiled in a civil war. He’ll be talking to paranormal romance author Susannah Sandlin, who says she’s already interviewed herself enough so somebody else has to do it. Today is the release day for ABSOLUTION, the second book in Susannah’s Penton Vampire Legacy series. Head over to my, um, her website to find the links to enter for the tour prize of a Kindle Paperwhite (or choice of $100 gift card to the online bookseller of your choice), and one of several book and gift card prizes. Also, ABSOLUTION is featured at USA Today's Happily Ever After column today!

ABOUT ABSOLUTION:  With the vampire world on the brink of civil war over the scarcity of untainted human blood, battle lines are being drawn between the once peaceful vampire and human enclave of Penton, Alabama, and the powerful Vampire Tribunal. Mirren Kincaid once served the tribunal as their most creative and ruthless executioner—a time when he was known as the Slayer. But when assigned a killing he found questionable, Mirren abandoned the tribunal’s political machinations and disappeared—only to resurface two centuries later as the protector and second-in-command of Penton. Now the tribunal wants him back on their side. To break their rogue agent, they capture Glory Cummings, the descendant of a shaman, and send her to restore Mirren’s bloodthirsty nature. But instead of a monster, Glory sees a man burdened by the weight of his past. Could her magic touch—meant by the tribunal to bring out a violent killer—actually help Mirren break his bonds and discover the love he doesn’t believe he deserves? Note: The Kindle version of book one, Redemption, is currently on sale for $1.99; you can pick up Absolution for $3.99. Also available in paperback and audiobook.

Now, let’s hear from Will and Susannah!

Will: Okay, first things first. Why did you write Aidan’s and Mirren’s books before you got to mine? I mean, talk about giving a guy a complex.

Susannah: Seriously, Will? I mean it’s your FATHER who started this whole war, so doesn’t it make sense that we need to wait until the third book for you to have the chance to confront him? Besides, you had some growing up to do. Aidan started Penton, so he had to get the first book, and go to war against his brother. Mirren’s our Scottish warrior—you know, he has that whole chain mail and sword and battle ax thing going, so he needs to be the strategist. You’ll get your turn.

Will: Describe your favorite scene from Absolution--and why is it your favorite?

Susannah: One of my favorite scenes is after Mirren takes care of an intruder and he comes home not too long before dawn with blood on his shirt, thinking Glory will be asleep and he can slip in. But she catches him, demands to know where the blood came from, and begins to understand a little more about how his mind works. It’s a sweet scene.

Will: Woman, “sweet” and “Mirren” doesn’t compute. That’s not my favorite scene. My favorite scene is when Mirren goes all warrior and starts lopping off heads with his sword. Man.

Susannah: Well, yeah, that scene is pretty cool, too.

Will: What was the hardest scene to write?

Susannah: There’s a big scene near the end of the book where there’s a lot going on as things slip into chaos—there are three or four things going on in different places simultaneously so it was a balancing act to present those events from three different points of view and have it make sense as it comes together.

Will: You want to tell people about my book?

Susannah: You just want to know what happens, Will, and you’re going to have to wait until February. Let’s just say there’s a lot involving your father, some grenades, and rats.

Will (frowns): I hate rats.

Susannah (smiles): Oh, I know.

Will: Fine. Favorite App:

Susannah: Buddy TV. I can keep up with what I need to DVR. Flashlight. That’s brilliant. Facebook and Twitter for iPhone. I’m a very utilitarian kind of app person.

Will: (mutters..you’re a boring app person). Why did you name your dogs after professional wrestlers?

Susannah: It was a phase, okay? When I got Shane O’Mac, she was scrappy and hyperactive, and had no social skills—she was stolen, um, I mean freed by a friend from a house down the street where she’d been thrown in the backyard 24/7 with only beer cans to play with and a rancid mattress to sleep on. Tanker McNamara Abbott was a street stray. I let him in my gated yard to play with Shane and he went barreling in my front door and ate all her food. And they liked to wrestle even though there’s a 60-pound weight difference between them. They’re way too old and lazy to wrestle now.

Will: Strangest vacation you ever took?

Susannah: Tossup: 1) I was on a cruise ship going through the Panama Canal when President Geo. Bush the Elder sent the Marines into Panama to take down the dictator Manuel Noriega. We were sitting on deck with Peach Bellinis and there are tanks and helicopters all around us—nobody would tell us what was going on. The other option: 2) I was flying from Amsterdam to Munich, with a connector to Innsbruck, but there was bad weather, so the pilot circled Munich…and circled…and circled. Finally, after a few hours, he announced he was tired so we were going to Cologne instead. Um…he was TIRED? Had to catch a bus in Cologne to Innsbruck so after twelve-plus hours in the air, we had a lovely ten-hour bus ride.

Will: Who’s the real Susannah Sandlin?

Susannah: The original Susannah Childers Sandlin was my gggg-grandmother, who traveled by wagon from South Carolina to Alabama in the late 1700s. She is buried in Blount County, Alabama, and spelled her first name Sousannah.

Will: I think Mirren might have known her…just kidding! What’s next for the Penton vampires?

Susannah: Book three, Omega, comes out on February 5 and features…you.

Want to win signed audiobooks of both Redemption (Penton Vampire Legacy #1) and Absolution (Penton Vampire Legacy #2)? One entry for comment, another for blog follow, a third for a Twitter follow @SusannahSandlin, and a fourth for a Tweet or Retweet. What’s the best vacation you ever took?

21 comments:

  1. You did make that big scene perfectly, i got the impression to be there and i followed the differents point of view without problem, not a glitch.

    my best vacation...hard question i didn't have that many so there all important for me so one was from the time the all family was still together and my father healthy ( before all the transformations for tourists). We went in Switerland ( Swarchzee), walked around the lake, palyed with the dog and i loved the smell after the small rain and all the froggs on the way ( fun friend for the dog^^)

    another one is the time i went to London with my mother, it was just 2/3days but i loved to spend that time with her, being able to speak freely, to see her start to smile again and the plushes from Hamleys!!^^ i chrish those moments and miss them

    +1comment
    +1blog follow

    isabelle(dot)frisch(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that complicated scene worked, Miki! I have a lot of great memories of traveling with my parents when I was younger as well (although we'd go to Florida!).

      Delete
  2. So excited about this series! My best vacation was to Gulf Shores in 1997, when my hubby proposed. Thanks!
    +1 comment
    +1 follow blog Andrea Thompson
    +1 twitter follow @bookishandrea
    +1 tweet

    andreat78@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Andrea! I love Gulf Shores....and yes, I guess that did make it a special vacation for you!

      Delete
  3. Best vacation. . . . I guess I must have a glutton's soul. Because I'm thinking there's nothing like the NEXT vacation! Taking a few days off, sort of, starting tomorrow, with a drive to Gulf Shores for the Shrimp Festival. Which reminds me of how much I love audio books. For driving, for yard work, for housework--all those things that could be tedious without a story.

    Congratulations on the USA Today recommendation. Well deserved praise for your books!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting interview :)
    Favorite vacation..well it hasn't happened yet.I don't take too many vacations.

    Happy release day!!

    +1 comment
    +1 blog follower
    +1 twitter follower
    +1 tweet
    https://twitter.com/elaing8/status/255767761232461824

    elaing8(at)netscape(dot)net

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm very curious about absolution, I really enjoyed Redemption and it would be a pleasure to discover this one as well. Thank you for the interview!

    +1 comment
    +1 blog follower melliane
    +1 twitter follower @betweendandr
    +1 tweet: https://twitter.com/betweendandr/status/255775426503405568

    ReplyDelete
  6. Best vacation was this year -- we went to The Bahamas and the Cayman Islands. Never before (and probably never again) have I been someplace so fabulously awesome! Beaches and sun and no obligations in a tropical setting...

    +1 comment
    +1 blog follower
    +1 twitter follower

    ReplyDelete
  7. My favorite vacation so far has been to the Grand Canyon

    1 comment
    1 follower

    ReplyDelete
  8. My Favorite vacation is going to new beach with my DH, and our two boys, which just happened last week :)

    +1 comment
    +1 gfc follower

    and congrats for the books !!

    uniquas at ymail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Don't think I have a favorite vacation. Being retired is kind of a daily vacation, enjoy every day. Favorite place I visited was while in the Navy, Capri, just off the coast of Italy. A visit to the Blue Grotto, wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry the day job nabbed me and I wasn't able to respond to all the great vacations! I need a vacation, but I don't see it happening soon! I think the favorite place I've been outside the U.S. was Venice, Italy, where I was lucky enough to have gone twice. Also Innsbruck, Austria, which is sooooo beautiful (even in February)!

    Thanks for the good wishes on the release!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well Susannah, Will is hilarious. I hope he doesn't get a big head about it. Seems he's already there all on his own. I do have to agree that your Apps might be a wee bit boring :-D. This from the person who has a racing App she doesn't know how to play on her iPAD. *palms forehead*

    Anyhoo, my favorite vacation was spent in Nova Scotia. My ex and I spent two weeks there and it was the closest I was ever going to get to Scotland. Someday...sigh. I no longer have all the beautiful pictures I took and so that is the only sad part. The best part is that I am no longer with my ex. 0_o!! LOL

    Loved the interview.

    +2 comments
    +2 blogs following
    +1 twitter follower
    +1 tweet
    +3 retweets
    https://twitter.com/LizWalkbttrfly/status/255878816302497792

    The #undead come alive in Susannah Sadlin new release, Absolution. http://tinyurl.com/949sgvk #FF @Suzanne_Johnson for more good reads!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think my best vacation ever was going to Maui. My ex and I flew out there for 10 days and stayed in lovely Lahaina. The island is fascinating as one half is is volcanic and the scenery in places looks like I imagine parts of Ireland to look like. The other side of the island is an unbelievable rainforest paradise with gorgeous waterfalls. We were able to take a short side trip to visit Pearl Harbor. It is almost hard to describe the feelings that envelop the site - reverence, awe, and so many other emotions welled up in my heart when I stood on that sacred site. It was a once in a lifetime vacation that I will never forget.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a chance to go to Hawaii and visit Pearl Harbor and the USS Arizona a number of years ago, Lisa, and it is an emotional experience. Plus my dad, a WW2 Navy veteran of WW2 had been stationed there before fighting at Okinawa.

      Delete
  13. I have not really been on vacation much. My favorites would be camping with my family though. Although I have not done that for years due to a back injury a few years ago, I need to have my supportive bed to sleep, lol.

    +1 Comment
    +1 GFC follower: June M.
    +1 Twitter follower: @juneannm
    +1 Tweet: https://twitter.com/juneannm/status/256163789802729472

    manning_J2004 at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  14. A trip to France.

    I follow the blog.

    bn100candg(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Best vacation was this year, gathering with my facebook / book friend, so happy :)

    eli_y83@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I went to Sweden! Loved the atmosphere there!

    +1 comment
    +1 blog follower
    +1 twitter follower

    aliasgirl at libero dot it

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh gosh, I haven't been on vacation in ages! I did go to Peru last spring - and it was amazing- although I can't really call it a vacation :)

    +1 comment
    +1 blog follow (faith)
    +1 twitter follow (@falcon21893)

    ReplyDelete