Thursday, October 25, 2012

Q&A with #Steampunk Author Cindy Spencer Pape (& W*n a Boo)


Today, I’m pleased to welcome author Cindy Spencer Pape to Preternatura to talk about MOONLIGHT and MECHANICALS, the fourth book in her Gaslight Chronicles steampunk series from Carina Press. Cindy has written more than forty popular books and novellas in paranormal, historical, and erotic romance. A resident of southern Michigan, with her own “happily-ever-after” guy, she has been a banker, a teacher, a politician—but mostly an environmental educator. You can learn more about Cindy from her website, and can find her on Twitter and Facebook.

ABOUT MOONLIGHT AND MECHANICALS:  London, 1859…Engineer Winifred "Wink" Hadrian has been in love with Inspector Liam McCullough for years, but is beginning to lose hope when he swears to be a lifelong bachelor. Faced with a proposal from a Knight of the Round Table and one of her closest friends, Wink reluctantly agrees to consider him instead….Because of his dark werewolf past, Liam tries to keep his distance, but can't say no when Wink asks him to help find her friend's missing son. They soon discover that London's poorest are disappearing at an alarming rate, after encounters with mysterious "mechanical" men. Even more alarming is the connection the missing people may have with a conspiracy against the Queen….Fighting against time—and their escalating feelings for each other—Wink and Liam must work together to find the missing people and save the monarchy before it's too late...
Now, let’s hear from Cindy—welcome!

Give us the “elevator pitch” for your book.
Steam engineer Wink Hadrian has to choose between the werewolf detective she loves and the magickal Knight who loves her—oh, and save England while she’s at it.

Describe your favorite scene from the new book--and why is it your favorite?
My favorite is really a series of scenes that just make me laugh when all taken together. In the course of one day, each of Wink’s three younger brothers corners poor Liam and demands to know his intentions toward their sister.

What was the hardest scene to write?
The big battle scene at the end. There were a ton of people (and robots) to coordinate and keep track of.

What’s on your nightstand or top of your TBR pile?
There’s a Jane Feather historical, a Shannon McKenna romantic suspense and a Gena Showalter paranormal. I like to mix things up. 
 
Favorite book when you were a child.
The Trixie Belden mysteries.

Book you've faked reading (Moby Dick is leading the votes on this question!): 
Portrait of a Lady by Henry James, in 11th grade.

Book you're an evangelist for: 
Any of Elizabeth Peters’ early stuff, or the Roselynde Chronicles by Roberta Gellis.

Book you've bought for the cover:
I don’t know that I’ve ever really done that. I’m much more a word person than a picture person.

Book that changed your life:
Dara Joy’s Knight of a Trillion Stars. This was my first introduction into futuristic romance and it opened up a whole new world for me, finally not making me choose between SF and romance.

Favorite line from a book:
“I had to kill him. He ruined a perfectly nice dinner.” Robert Heinlein, The Cat Who Walks Through Walls. (This is paraphrased by my memory, I’m sure.)

Most horrifying moment while reading a book:
I bought some romances from a popular science fiction publisher that had just started publishing paranormal romance. The first few were fine, but the third or fourth had a “HEA” that involved the hero dying and the heroine living out her life, marrying someone else, and then being reunited after her death some sixty years later with the hero in the afterlife. THAT was a wall-banger and I stopped buying from that publisher.

Favorite book about books or writing:
I really don’t have any, other than a good dictionary and reference collection. I tend to learn more from listening to other authors, editors, etc. speak than reading books about writing books.

Thanks, Cindy!

There is no giveaway associated with this blog tour but, luckily for you, I have a book hoard I’m always trying to pare down. So leave a comment and win a mystery book from your genre of choice!

Up to five entries possible: +1 for comment (have you read any steampunk and, if so did you like it?), +1 for blog follow, +1 for Twitter follow, +1 for a Tweet or RT about the contest, +1 for a Facebook follow. Contests end at midnight CDT U.S. on Saturday, and winners are announced on Sunday’s blog.

20 comments:

  1. i'm still quite new to steampunk but i've become a real fan of the ministry of peculiar occurences by pip ballantine and tee morris
    fun and action ^^ wonderful

    +1comment
    +1blog follow: gfc: miki

    isabelle(dot)frisch(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had mixed feelings about the couple of steam punk books I've read. I enjoyed The Girl in the Steel Corset but didn't care for the sequel.

    1 comment
    1 gfc follower
    1 Facebook friend

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have tried a number of steampunk titles but I ended up either absolutely loving them or not being able to finish them.Among my favorite titles with steampunk elements is the Infernal Devices series.

    +1 comment
    +1 GFC follower:celebridal
    +1 Twitter follower: celebridal

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with Anna - I either love the Steampunk books or hate them! I love Gail Carriger and Meljean Brook. I also loved Cindy Spencer Pape's novella Kilts & Kracken, so I'm looking forward to reading her newest novel.

    +1 comment
    +1 GFC follower
    +1 twitter follower (@RebeLovesBooks)
    +1 tweeted: https://twitter.com/RebeLovesBooks/status/261505617590628353

    ReplyDelete

  5. I actually don't think i've ever read a Steampunk book.

    +1 comment
    +1 GFC Jennifer
    +1 twitter @jlkalman26
    +1 tweet:
    https://twitter.com/jlkalman26/status/261512100684386304

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've read and enjoyed Dara Joy's books very much, but my favourite by her is Rejar.
    As for steampunk, so far the only ones I really love are by Gail Carriger.
    Thanks for the mystery giveaway Suzanne!

    +4: comment, follower, twitter follower and facebook friend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I looooove the Clockwork Century series by Cherie Priest, and also enjoyed the Leviathan trilogy by Scott Westerfeld. The Gail Carriger Parasol Protectorate series is a fairly fun and fluffy read.

    +1 blog follow
    +1 twitter follow
    +1 RT (lenamoster)
    +1 facebook

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a huge steampunk fan! The latest series I've been reading has been Kady Cross's Steampunk Chronicles, but I'm reading anything steampunk I can get my hands on.

    I'm international so if you take international contests I've got 1x blog follower and 1x comment :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not a huge fan of steampunk....I read a couple, but didn't like them. The only one I love was Dearly Departed by Lia Habel!!!

    +1 comment

    Glassheart18ca@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I enjoy reading iron duke, and heart of steel is next on the reading list. Hope i can try this one too, the elevator pitch bought me.

    +3 comment, blog and fb follow

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've not read any steampunk yet (the term still amuses me to death!) but I've heard a lot about Meljean Brooks Iron Seas series & hope to read that sometime soon.

    +4: comment, twitter & blog follow, tweeted
    https://twitter.com/LindaThum/status/261661904517341184

    thumbelinda03@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ive only read one steampunk so far. But it was really good. Looking forward to reading some more of it.

    -comment
    -follower
    -twitter follower
    -tweet https://twitter.com/DonnaS1/status/261677097578295296

    bacchus76 at myself dot com

    ReplyDelete
  13. i like steampunk....
    my fave is IRON DUKE...
    thx 4 the giveaway...

    +1 comment
    +1 GFC follower : nurmawati djuhawan
    +1 twitter follower : @chiko_jubilee
    +1 tweeted: https://twitter.com/chiko_jubilee/status/261762650671816704

    =nurma-

    chikojubilee at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks to everyone for the great comments! It's nice to see that so many of you are open to steampunk. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I absolutely love steampunk! It's been a year since I first started reading it and I fell in love immediatly!

    +1 blog follow
    +1 twitter follow
    +1 comment
    +1 facebook

    aliasgirl at libero dot it

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, a paranormal steampunk? I'm intrigued! And wow, beautiful cover too! :)

    +1 blog follow- Midnight Book Thief
    +1 twitter follow- @NIghtBookThief
    +1 comment
    +1 facebook- Jen Ri
    +1 tweet
    https://twitter.com/NightBookThief/status/262004208872603648

    jenelleriane at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm thoroughly enjoying this series! I love the paranormal twist and of course I'm hoping for more:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really like the steampunk genre, favorite book...Soulless by Gail Carriger!

    +1 comment
    +1 blog follower
    +1 twitter follower
    +1 fb follower

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like steampunk when it's a real part of the story, but just throwing gadgets in there for no real reason doesn't make a story steampunk. I've really enjoyed Cindy's Motor City Fae stories, and I think I have the first book in her steampunk series somewhere in my TBR pile so I should dig that out.

    +1 comment
    +1 GFC follower
    jen@delux.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. I haven't read any steampunk yet, but it all sounds amazing!!!

    +1 comment
    +1 GFC follower
    +1 twitter follower
    +1 tweeted- https://twitter.com/joleneallcock/status/262256265504366592

    ReplyDelete