Wednesday, October 17, 2012

CHRISTMAS IN DOGTOWN by Suzanne Johnson



I've had a few "secret projects" cooking on the back burners for a while, and today I'm excited to unroll the first. CHRISTMAS IN DOGTOWN is a novelette available now for download at Amazon HERE and later today at Barnes and Noble (I'll put up the link when it's available).

DOGTOWN is a standalone story about home and identity (and gators and gar balls). I hope you enjoy it! (Remember--if you don't have a Kindle or a Nook, you can download the free Kindle App to read Kindle books on your computer, iPhone, iPad, or other smartphone or tablet.)

ABOUT CHRISTMAS IN DOGTOWN     A woman who spent years escaping her rural past learns that Dogtown, Louisiana, hides more family secrets than just the recipe for boudin blanc.
     Resa Madere’s on the verge of losing it all. The boyfriend’s gone. The job’s history. Her beloved house is on the brink of foreclosure. She’ll do anything to save it--even spend a long Christmas holiday working in St. James Parish, Louisiana, helping her uncle run the family meat business. But the community of Dogtown, which has been home for seven generations of the Madere and Caillou families, has deep roots and deeper secrets. For Resa, going home is one thing. Getting out might not be so easy.

17 comments:

  1. Oh! WOW! A novelette, I really like to read favorite authors short stories. Gotta go order it now. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Roger! Hope you like it. It's sort of like Royal Street, with much softer edges and more subtle paranormal elements.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks, Amber--I was happy with the way it turned out :-)

      Delete
  4. Suzanne,

    Enjoyed the story, very much. Thank you. One of the advantages of a Kindle & the electronic cloud. Fast. No waiting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Roger! I'm glad you liked it. Now...does it make you want to try boudin noir? (Not me, uh-uh, no way, although I like boudin blanc and crawfish boudin.) I need to do a post on boudin!

    I'm still old-school enough to want my print books, but I love the speed of a Kindle..and being able to increase the font size because I'm blind as a proverbial bat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ^^ you should not reduce boudin to boundin blanc and boudin noir ^^ there are dozen and dozen different kinds for each ^^ example:
    boudin noir au raisins
    boudin noir aux figues
    boudin blanc fines herbes
    boudin blanc au poireaux
    and so many more ^^ ( yes it's a important dish in my country^^)

    i love the cover , i was wondering is your novella is going to be available only in kindle or also in pdf on smashwords for example

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, fun, Miki! Will definitely have to do a boudin blog post. In fact, I'm thinking about a Louisiana-food-themed blog week during November, which has a lot of French-inspired dishes with a Louisiana twist :-)

      Delete
    2. i will be curious to see those dishes then^^

      Delete
  7. Yeay!! I just grabbed my kindle version xxx Christmas ebooks are my favorite part of the holiday season now LOL Looking forward to snuggling up by the fire and christmas tree, to read Christmas in Dogtown!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay--thanks, JoAnne! I hope you like the story (and yes, a Kindle, a fire, and a holiday story...great combination!)

      Delete
  8. I'd also like to know if this one will be available on Smashwords Suzanne, the advantage of that site is, they accept PayPal, which Amazon does not.
    I like the premise, and I have no idea what boudin is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it's being formatted for KOBO, and do expect it will be available for Smashwords, although it might take a bit longer.

      Boudin (boo-DAN), at least in Louisiana, is ground meat or seafood mixed with rice and spices, then encased in a sausage casing. There are all different kinds, depending on what's in it. There are meat markets around South Louisiana that specialize in Andouille (ahn-DOO-ee), or smoked sausage, and boudin, so the character in DOGTOWN goes back to her small hometown to help in the family's meat market during the holidays.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Suzanne, I will go check in a few days until I can buy it. And Boudin does sound tasty now you explained it :)

      Delete