Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Preternatura Book Club: Harry Dresden, Fashion Plate


Welcome back to the Preternatura Book Club! We'll be talking about topics that are related to the book we're reading but are general enough for you to pipe up and voice an opinion.

Each book read will last four weeks, which is a much faster schedule than we've done on previous books. Today, we finish reading STORM FRONT, book one in the Harry Dresden series by Jim Butcher. We will take a couple of weeks off for some special River Road release week fun and a Thanksgiving special blog series I have planned, then will resume the book club on November 28, when we’ll begin reading Spider’s Bite, the first in Jennifer Estep’s Elemental Assassin series. I haven’t read this series, so it will all be new to me.

Today’s giveaway will be a mystery unclaimed prize of your choice of genre: paranormal romance, urban fantasy, sci fi, fantasy, or YA. 

Now, back to Harry and how very un-magical his wardrobe is. Okay, the duster is pretty cool, but I got a big laugh as he was dragged to the newest crime scene wearing a t-shirt, jogging pants, and cowboy boots (because his cat, Mister, had absconded with one of his sneakers). In an earlier scene, he had on a western-style shirt with his jeans. A fashion plate, our Harry is not. It sort of plays into that whole Columbo-bumbling-but-brilliant detective vibe. 

The other thing I thought was really cool about how this story developed and wrapped up, without any spoilers, is how weather—particularly thunderstorms—could serve as a source of magical energy. It makes perfect sense, and works really well in Jim Butcher’s magical world. I think he uses it in other ways in one or two future books. 

So…. thoughts about Storm Front or the Dresden universe? Things you like or don’t like about the book? Think you’ll continue with the series if it’s a new one for you? Comment to be entered for the book giveaway. Let’s chat!

21 comments:

  1. I liked the Dresdenverse, and plan to continue with the series. Storm Front read was fun. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'd like the series, Roger. Storm Front (as with most first series books) is probably the weakest one.

      Delete
  2. Lol, that duster must be a mage thing. Pritkin in the Karen Chance books also wears one.
    Still have to start reading the Harry Dresden series though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read Karen Chance--need to look for her series! I think the duster is cool, too :-)

      Delete
  3. I like the fact that Harry wears normal clothing instead of robes. Although his duster sort of stands in for a super hero's cape.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, yes a superhero cape or a wizard's robes. Much cooler than a robe, though.

      Delete
  4. I really can't think of anything I don't like about Harry. I love Mister, he is such a perfect cat character. I can only wish for a duster like Harry's, but I really don't think it would work for me :(
    +1 comment
    +1 blog follower
    +1 twitter follower
    +1 RT
    +1 facebook friend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Mister too--the way he almost knocks Harry down everytime he comes home. Plus it's such an unexpected thing--you'd kind of expect a guy to have a dog.

      Delete
  5. I love Harry and his kinda geeky wizard vibe. I always picture him as the kinda dorky guy at school who was really kinda hot when you looked closer. I also love Mister and I adore Bob and his smart mouth :OD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL--yep, that's exactly how I envision Harry as well. And I absolutely LOVE Bob.

      Delete
  6. The more I read here the more I want to read this one which means I am going to have to move this one up in my TBR pile. sigh........so many books too little time.

    Larena

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean! My TBR pile is out of control.

      Delete
  7. I love the Dresden Files series, but I have not read this one yet. I guess that I need to get busy! I thought that it was a shame that the TV show didn't make it because I loved it. Oh Well!! Thanks for the giveaway Suzanne! bpatrick64113@sbcglobal.net +1 Comment, +1 Follower

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I missed the show when it was actually on, but went back last year and watched all the episodes for free on hulu.com. I wish it had made it, too!

      Delete
  8. For some odd reason, I keep thinking I wouldn't like this series. But every week I keep learning how funny/cool it is. I love the cat named Mister.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the "Dresden Files" makes it sound as if it's going to be a police procedural with a wizard, and there is some of that--but the humor and relationships and ridiculous situations Harry gets into are just so, so good.

      Delete
  9. I love the fact that Mister is just a cat - not special in anyway - apart from his massive size! He doesn't save the day, doesn't provide any magic but shows that Harry can look after and be loved by someone else.
    I'd not really noticed Harry fashion sense till you pointed it out! I like that he's normal and not wearing robes or a uniform! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a while since I read the early books and I can't remember if his fashion disasters continue through the series. Except that now I want to re-read the series before Cold Days. Maybe the holidays, when I'll have some time off the Evil Day Job!

      Delete
  10. still haven't managed to read this one yet. *sigh..*

    ReplyDelete
  11. i think i will try this series one day, i think it even translated so perhaps i've one somewhere but i need to start by book 1 so in the futur surely

    ReplyDelete
  12. Absolutely YES! I'll keep on reading this series I ended up loving it!. I need more harry and more laugh!

    ReplyDelete