Thursday, November 8, 2012

Q&A with #fantasy #pnr Author Marsha A. Moore


Today, I’m pleased to welcome a longtime online author friend Marsha A. Moore, an author of fantasy romance—and also a talented artist! After a move from Toledo to Tampa in 2008, she’s happily transforming into a Floridian, in love with the outdoors. You can learn more about Marsha and her Enchanted Bookstore Legends series at her website. The newest book in the series is Lost Volumes.

Now, let’s hear from Marsha—welcome!

Give us the “elevator pitch” for LOST VOLUMES.
Considering my husband and I just got back from a cruise with thousands of travelers who were tired of walking and clamoring for the slow elevators, I could get this all out…
   When Lyra McCauley learns residents of Dragonspeir’s Alliance are suffering with a deadly plague, she doesn’t heed the warnings of her fiancé, wizard Cullen Drake, to remain safe in her human world. After all, she’s the present Scribe—one of five strong women in her ancestry who possessed unique magic, each destined to protect the Alliance against the evil Black Dragon of the Dark Realm. With Cullen dependent upon Alliance power to maintain his immortality, the stakes are doubled for Lyra.
     She leaves her college teaching and puts herself at risk for the community afflicted by black magic. To find a cure, she and Cullen travel into the vile, lawless underworld of Terza to strike a bargain with an expert. Their efforts further enrage the Black Dragon, vowing to decimate the Alliance and avenge the murder of his heir.
     Lyra must secure the three lost volumes of the Book of Dragonspeir. Written by the three earliest Scribes, each book contains energy. Possession of the entire set will enable overthrow of the Dark Realm. Following clues into dangerous lands, Lyra and Cullen seek those volumes. His assistants, Kenzo the tiger owl and Noba the pseudodragon, prove invaluable aids. Only if they succeed, will the Alliance be safe

What is your favorite scene in the book?
I enjoyed the action when Lyra and Cullen traveled into the dark and mysterious underground world of Terza. There were some pretty seedy characters there and lots of strange black magic going on. Adding to the dangers were dragon-size scorpents, half scorpion half serpent creatures, that chased the pair.

What’s on your nightstand or top of your TBR pile?
The White Forest by Adam McOmber

Favorite book when you were a child:
Grimm’s Fairy Tales

Your five favorite authors:
Natasha Mostert; Erin Morgenstern; JK Rowling; Edgar Allan Poe; James Fenimore Cooper

Book you've faked reading:
A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness. I found myself skimming a lot, which I hate to do, in order to pick out the plot.

Book you're an evangelist for:
It would be a toss-up between Natasha Mostert’s Season of the Witch and Erin Morgenstern’s The Night Circus. In both of those, magic caused mental effects for both the giver and receiver. I enjoy the complexity of that theme and employ it myself in a very different way. My heroine, Lyra, must learn to mentally control her vast inherited powers as the new Scribe. That is something she struggles to master through the series.

Book you've bought for the cover:
The Illuminated Rumi by Michael Green

Book that changed your life:
In college, I loved reading Gulliver’s Travels by Jonathan Swift. The symbolism is amazing; the more you read, the more layers you find. Inspired by that, I like to hide things in my stories.

Book you most want to read again for the first time:
I could reread Season of the Witch again and enjoy picking up more hidden bits.

Most horrifying moment while reading a book:
A first book in a series ended without tying up any of the major problems. I learned to never do that to my readers.

What’s next?
I’m already at work writing the fourth book in my Enchanted Bookstore Legends, entitled Staurolite. I’m still enjoying working with these characters, letting them grow and develop. There will be five books in the series.

Thank you, Suzanne, for the great interview!

Thanks, Marsha!

For today’s giveaway, I’ll offer up another mystery book from my ridiculous TBR pile. What are you reading now? I just started Cynthia Eden’s new PNR, Angel in Chains. Rawr!

Up to five entries possible: +1 for comment, +1 for blog follow, +1 for Twitter follow, +1 for a Tweet or RT about the contest, +1 for a Facebook follow. Contests end at midnight CDT U.S. on Saturday, and winners are announced on Sunday’s blog.

18 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fun series! I love the "other world" type stories, where characters can go in and out of the "real" world.

    Right now, I'm reading Shelter by Harlan Coben...no secret universes just yet, but it's HC...always a treat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right now I'm reading Shadows on the Moon by Zoe Marriott and it a Cinderella retelling in feodal japan!!! Very good and original!!!!

    +1 comment

    Glassheart18ca@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Teri Anne! I love the element of comparing and contrasting real and fantasy worlds--both in my writing and reading. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi!
    i will be starting book 6 by Lara Adrian midnight series ( french edition) in a few minutes

    thank you a lot for this giveaway

    +1 blog follow gfc:miki
    +1comment

    isabelle(dot)frisch(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marsha is a new author for me.

    +1 comment
    +1 gfc follower
    +1 facebook

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just started Origin by Jessica Khoury!

    Thanks for the giveaway!
    Leanne

    +1 comment
    +1 GFC: Leanne Goon
    +1 Twitter: @leannessf
    +1 Tweeted:
    Your Facebook link didn't work, so I followed by Networked Blogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, forgot Tweet: https://twitter.com/leannessf/status/266666649443258369

      +1 Facebook: Leanne Goon - sent in Friend Request

      Delete
  7. I'm currently reading Tournament of Chance by S.G. Rogers and have Writing the Paranormal Novel by Steven Harper up next hopefully. :) Good luck with the latest installment of The Enchanted Bookstore, Marsha! It's a fun series.

    I'm a follower, and on twitter too, Suzanne.
    I've tweeted this:

    https://twitter.com/julidrevezzo/status/266670804509536256

    and I shared it on FB

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Cynthia Eden's books. You should read her The Better to Bite if you haven't already. Currently I am reading Beyond the Dark antho with Lora Leigh, Angela Knight, Emma Holly & Diane Whiteside

    commented
    blog follower
    twitter follower
    facebook follower

    Larena

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tiger owl and pseudodragon? This is going to be such a fun series.

    Just started on Carnival of Souls, wow!

    +1 comment
    +1 follower
    +1 FB fan

    yumihamano@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JC, the tiger owl and pseudodragon got so many comments from readers, I had to put them on the cover for this new release. They are wonderful fun characters!

      Delete
  10. i'm in the middle of several books, but the one that i brought to work today is meljean brook's heart of steel

    +3, commented, blog followed, fb followed

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm just starting Ironskin.

    +1 blog follow
    +1 twitter follow
    +1 RT (lenamoster)
    +! facebook

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for this interview, I don't have many fantasy romance, but those that I have, I loved. Like CL Wilson. I am reading Timeless by Gail Carriger at the moment.

    +4 comment, follower, twitter follower, facebook friend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm reading a mystery novel but have a dystopic novel on my pile!!!

    +1 commented
    +1 blog follower
    +1 twitter follower
    +1 facebook follower

    aliasgirl at libero dot it

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds good and I enjoyed the interview. I am currently reading Avoiding Commitment. It is a contemporary romance and it is pretty good right now. Thanks for a chance to win a mystery book!

    +1 follower (blog)
    +1 comment
    +1 follower (FB)

    pefrw at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm reading Crown Of Embers.

    +1 comment
    +1 blog follow
    +1 twitter follower

    lesly7ch(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete