Thursday, November 1, 2012

Q&A with # PNR Author Moriah Densley (& Book G*veaway)


Today, I’m pleased to welcome one of my favorite people to Preternatura—author Moriah Densley. Moriah released a terrific historical romance earlier this year, Song for Sophia, and now she has her debut paranormal romance out, The Valkyrie’s Guardian. In the interest of full disclosure, Moriah has been one of my critique partners for the past couple of years, and I’ve had the chance to watch Valkyrie develop from first draft to final. It’s a fun story with a hot Scottish berserker and, yep, a Valkyrie!

A 2012 RWA Golden Heart finalist, Moriah sees nothing odd at all about keeping both a violin case and a range bag stuffed with pistols in the back seat of her car. They hold up the stack of books in the middle, of course. She enjoys writing about Victorians, assassins, and geeks. Her muses are summoned by the smell of chocolate, usually at odd hours of the night. By day her alter ego is your friendly neighborhood music teacher. Moriah lives in Las Vegas with her husband and four children. Learn more about her from her website and blog. You also can find her on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Goodreads.


ABOUT The Valkyrie’s Guardian“Augmented strength, lightning weapon, chronic PMS – you’re a valkyrie, Cass.” You might call them superheroes. “Extra-sentients” are one in 4.5 million with the extraordinary ability to unlock the full potential of the mind. Cassiopeia Noyon is descended from the most powerful known extra-sentient, but she’s a dud – no impressive talents except a healing ability which lands her in trouble. She’s all wrong for Jack MacGunn, her dazzling immortal berserker bodyguard. …Jack MacGunn is King of the Bad Pick-Up Line. A true blue kilt-wearing, pipe-playing Scot descended from a long line of berserker warriors; if he’s awake, he’s either hungry or itching for a fight. Lately Jack feels lost. His career as a Navy SEAL detachment agent is on a slow train to nowhere. He suspects it has something to do with his out-of-control superhuman rages. The one task Jack has never failed at is guarding Cassie from their enemies, but now he fears he can’t protect her from himself. … A chance encounter with a villain long assumed dead sends Jack and Cassie on a race to save the children secreted away at Network One, the academy for genius extra-sentients. Jack discovers a new side of Cassie when in the heat of combat she invokes unheard-of powers. Has Jack finally met his match?


Now, let’s hear from Moriah—welcome!
Thank you so much for having me on today, Suzanne. I’m a huge fan of Preternatura and the Sentinels of New Orleans series. This is quite an honor!

What is your favorite scene in The Valkyrie’s Guardian?
I had a ball with Jack’s bad pick-up lines. “Here – you take my lollipop, and I’ll improvise.” Here’s an excerpt with Jack flirting the only way he knows how:
    At that moment, three pagers went off. Jack, Chief, and Pops all retrieved their phones and checked the display with identical motions.
     Jack said, “CO called in the whole team. It’s probably nothing, but we have to go.”
“Run like the wind,” Cassie replied flatly, as though she had no curiosity at all about his urgent summons to headquarters. “Nice meeting you, Chief, and ah, Papa Smurf. I’ll find my own way to the barracks.”
     Damned if she didn’t show them her back and strut away like a tabby cat. Of course he stared, mesmerized by the dual motion of her hips and swaying hair. A draft of her honey-anise scent lingered. Catnip. “Eighteen-hundred hours, baby,” he called, a last ditch effort to claim her with the officers observing.
     She spun 180 degrees and walked backward. “Sorry, I have to polish my pistol.” Chief and Pops sucked in a breath at her suggestive tone—with that purring sound in her voice, anything sounded like innuendo.
     Jack couldn’t help it. He winked. “Sure thing, darlin.’ After you polish mine.”

Heh. What’s on your nightstand or top of your TBR pile?
Re-reading Absolution (yay Suzanne!) Then I have Thea Harrison’s Dragon Bound waiting for me. (Suz: I didn’t pay her to say that, honest!)

Book you've faked reading:
Me? *blushing* Okay, I confess to quoting Tolstoy’s War and Peace (“Power is the relation of a given person to other persons, blah, blah, blah) but I’ve never actually cracked it open. It looks very pretty sitting on my shelf, making me look smart ... Someday I might be sophisticated enough to read this masterpiece, but meanwhile I’d rather look at funny cat pictures. 

Book you're an evangelist for:
It’s campy, it’s “out there.” A science fiction/fantasy/romance hybrid at 2000+ pages, it’s a Tolkien-esque behemoth … and I adore it. Zaniest, most fascinating world-building ever, not to mention a sword-wielding, time-traveling musician heroine who does it all while pregnant. Are you geek enough to handle the “Symphony of Ages” trilogy by Elizabeth Haydon?

Book you've bought for the cover:
I’m tempted to buy any book with flames or wings on the cover; Shadowfever by Karen Marie Moning, Raziel by Kristina Douglas, and Cassandra Clare’s City of Ashes to name a few. I recently read Incandescent (plenty of flames!) by M.V. Freeman and loved it.

Book you most want to read again for the first time:
Charlotte Brontë’s Jane Eyre devastated me (in the best possible way). Exquisite imagery and characterization, emotional drama and shocking controversy that scandalized our Victorian grandmamas – romantic Gothic horror at its best. I would give a year’s supply of chocolate to experience that thrill of discovery again.

Most horrifying moment while reading a book:
I remember trying to get through Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein as a kid. Chalk it up to being a pansy or reading in the dark – it freaked me out! I threw the book across the room and huddled under the blankets for many a sleepless night. I’m still easily spooked, the one person who screams in the movie theater while everyone else saw “it” coming.

What’s next?
I’ve been watching Stephen Hawking lectures on quantum physics so I can write the next in this paranormal series. Kyros Vassalos, the “boss” à la Professor Xavier of X-Men, is a three-centuries-old Greek warrior/physicist with the power to alter electromagnetism. He meets his match in Lyssa Logan, a sassy crime-fighting violinist who doesn’t even know she’s a rare “extra-sentient” with extraordinary power. Ordnance and music I can fake. Physics? No dice. Back to the classroom for me.

Your five favorite authors:
Other than Suzanne Johnson? I really can’t choose only five, and I love reading paranormal, urban fantasy, historical, contemporary, and mystery – not to mention the classics and non-fiction. I had a rough time choosing which favorites to put in my zombie apocalypse survival kit:

Thanks, Moriah! I love the idea of a Zombie survival kit!

Moriah has generously offered up a digital copy of The Valkyrie’s Guardian to one commenter. Just tell me a book you’d have to have in your own Zombie Survival Kit. I’m going to cheat and pick Lord of the Rings—since I have a three-in-one volume I can too count it as one book!

Up to five entries possible: +1 for comment (have you read any steampunk and, if so did you like it?), +1 for blog follow, +1 for Twitter follow, +1 for a Tweet or RT about the contest, +1 for a Facebook follow. Contests end at midnight CDT U.S. on Saturday, and winners are announced on Sunday’s blog.

24 comments:

  1. I can only pick one for my kit? I don't know how that's possible! The books I would have to have (at the expense of survival things, I'm sure!) are the Black Jewels trilogy by Anne Bishop, the Sevenwaters books by Juliet Marillier, the Kingkiller Chronicles trilogy by Pat Rothfuss, and the Hunger Games trilogy.

    +1 blog follow
    +1 twitter follow
    +1 RT (lenamoster)
    +1 facebook

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess we can expand our Zombie kits, although I really like Sandy's idea, too!

      Delete
    2. Hi, Galena. I decided to take a wheelbarrow (for the books) when I run away from the zombies. I can't pick just one either. And thanks for visiting today!

      Delete
  2. One would be really hard. Can I tape all of the Harrypotter books together and call it an omnibus?

    1comment
    1 gfc follower
    1 facebook friend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is brilliant! I'm changing my answer. Yes to seven Harry Potters, all taped together :-)

      Delete
    2. Hello, Sandy, and thanks for stopping by. YES - because you already have duct tape in your kit, right? And bonus - that brick of books could double as a weapon if necessary.

      Delete
  3. I sat and thought which Stephen King book would I take? Can't figure it out. Just one? If I could only take one, I would take Under the Dome, as it is the only big book of King's I haven't read yet. Of course then I'd never find out how The Dark Tower series ends.

    +1 comment +1 blog follow +1 Twitter follow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, Roger! I have Under the Dome and the Kennedy book both on my TBR pile--both big ones. But Dark Tower..might have to tape all those together too :-) Just finished Wizard and Glass finally.

      Delete
    2. Sounds like duct tape is a staple in the kit. Thanks for visiting, Roger. I know Suzanne is a big Stephen King fan too. Y'all are braver than me :)

      Delete
  4. That's not fair letting us only pick one. Hmm... lets see... I think I'll be like Sandy but I'll tape all of Patricia Cornwell's Kay Scarpetta series together. I love her books. Then again, how about John Saul's books or Jonathan Kellerman's books or Jennifer Crusie's books or Diana Palmer's books. One book...so not fair.
    +1 comment
    +1 blog follow
    +1 Twitter follow
    +1 FB follow

    e.balinski(at)att(dot)net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read any of the Kay Scarpetta books in a while, but really liked the early ones. Yes......one book (or series) is really hard. Darn those zombies!

      Delete
    2. Hello, Joanne. Fellow lover of Jennifer Crusie books here. Getting Rid of Bradley and Manhunting are probably my favorite. JC is the queen of self-deprecating humor, isn't she? I find it positively charming. Thanks for commenting, and nice to meet you.

      Delete
  5. I haven't read steampunk.....yet but there are enough books out there that are seriously tempting me so it is pretty much just a matter of time.

    Love the part about the zombie survival pack. Though truthfully I have too many favorite books to pick just one. On the other hand there is a really good chance that by the time I packed them all the pack itself would make a great weapon with all the weight in it.

    commented
    follow blog
    twitter follower
    facebook

    Larena

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Howdy Larena. Thanks for visiting! Amen to the book weapon. "The pen is mightier than the zombies," and all that. I'm with you on steampunk - haven't gotten into it yet, but not for lack of interest or fancy cover admiration.

      Delete
  6. Oh, I am reading Valkyrie's Guardian and *loving it* I think the pick up lines are AWESOME.The story had me teary-eyed and I am not even at the half way point! :) (You have to realize very few people get me that way--Moriah has this amazing way of writing).

    And On my Zombie survialist list...Do I have to choose? Really? *Sob*

    I had to say hey to two of my favorite people! Thank you Moriah--for your wonderful words. :) Now, let met get back to reading......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. M.V. - You're the best. Thanks so much for stopping by and pimping my book, not to mention inflating my ego. YES you have to choose, and sometime I'd be interested in hearing what's on your list.

      Delete
  7. I would pick Dark Desire by Christine Feehan. It would keep me warm at night and I just keep re-reading it.

    +1 comment
    +1 follower (blog)
    +1 follower (FB)

    pefrw at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Rachel. Christine Feehan, along with Sherrilyn Kenyon, were the first PNR authors I read. I got hooked too!

      Delete
  8. Can I categorize all of Lisa Kleypas' books as one? I need more than one to survive!

    +4: comment, blog & twitter follow, tweeted
    https://twitter.com/LindaThum/status/264220967801335808

    thumbelinda03@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, though I'm still a steampunk newbie I have read a few stories and what I've read so far I've enjoyed it a lot :-)

    +1 commented
    +1 blog follow as Stella (Ex Libris)
    +1 Twitter follow as @Stella_ExLibris
    +1 Tweeted: https://twitter.com/Stella_ExLibris/status/264314117144334337
    +1 Facebook follow as Stella Ex Libris

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the great interview, this book sounds like fun, and I want to read it :).
    I also love the Elizabeth Haydon books, although it has been ages since I read them (in my own language).
    The book I cannot live without, hmmm, going to cheat as well, Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake series and Merry Gentry series. Those are the ones I reread most often, after the Jean M. Auel books.

    +4 comment, follower, twitter follower and facebook friend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved the interview and the book sounds fantastic! Thanks for the wonderful giveaway! bpatrick64113@sbcglobal.net +1 Comment, +1 Follower

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice interview. I haven't read any steampunk yet.

    I follow the blog.

    bn100candg(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can't pick just a book or two for a zombie survival kit. I would make my DH find a way for me to keep my kindle charged. :) Thanks for the great interview and giveaway.

    +1 comment
    +1 GFC
    +1 twitter (beckerjo)
    +1 FB (JoAnna Halpin Becker)
    +1 tweet
    https://twitter.com/beckerjo/status/264845476262715392

    ReplyDelete