Friday, November 9, 2012

#Steampunk Friday Review: STEAMPUNK POE (& W*n a copy!)



Today, I’m looking at Steampunk Poe. It’s not a brand new release—has been out a while, in fact—but it somehow slipped past my radar and I wish it hadn’t. It’s a gorgeous book, with full-page color illustrations that are, well, gorgeous. The book combines some of Edgar Allan Poe’s classic stories and poems such as The Raven and The Tell-Tale Heart, and illustrates them with steampunk-influenced art. Note: these are NOT Poe’s stories rewritten as steampunks, but the original stories with steampunk illustrations. It’s a fun idea, and there are a couple more in this series of steampunk-illustrated classics from Running Press I’ll be featuring in the coming weeks. It’s a great idea—and I love that they put a steampunk spin on these stories without rewriting them. (And it gave me a great excuse to re-read some favorite Poe. Quote the Raven…)
  
ABOUT THE BOOK: If you combined clockwork gears, parasols, and air balloons with Edgar Allan Poe, what would you get? Steampunk: Poe! This is the first collection ever of Poe stories illustrated with the influence of steampunk. Running Press Teens has selected some of the most popular, thrilling, and memorable stories and poems by the classic 19th century American writer whose literary talent continues to open the mind to countless interpretations….Every Poe story and poems is fully illustrated with steampunk-inspired art—from 1920s aviation gear to elaborate musical instruments—creating a fresh perspective on his work containing bizarre characters of madmen and mystery. Just in time for Halloween, Steampunk: Poe is the perfect classic horror choice with a haunting steampunk twist!

Do you have a favorite Edgar Allan Poe story or poem? I like quite a few of the stories, but The Raven remains my favorite, even though I’m not a huge poetry reader. Leave a comment for a copy of this gorgeous book. Even if you’re not a Poe or steampunk fan, it’s a beautifully produced volume.

You know the drill to be entered for the win: one entry for comment, a second for blog follow, third for Twitter follow@Suzanne_Johnson, a fourth for a tweet or retweet, a fifth for a Facebook friending.

19 comments:

  1. I'm sorry, did you say Steampunk and Poe? I think I need to sit for a minute, so much awesome at once has made me dizzy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What!? This sounds awesome! I actually used to have a Poe-based computer game that you can't find anymore. My friend and I would sit there for hours playing this game, learning without really realizing it :) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_Eye_%28video_game%29)

    +1 blog follow
    +1 twitter follow
    +1 RT (lenamoster)
    +1 facebook

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea. I love the detail that Steampunk art gets into. And if you can use this to get kids to read classics, whoa!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't this a fun idea? I also have the Steampunk Frankenstein coming up as a giveaway soon, and the publisher is doing a third classic with steampunk illustrations in the next month or so.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My son wrote a very dark haiku for a class while he was in middle school. I teasingly told him I thought haiku had to be about snow or cherry blossoms or pretty things; poems shouldn't be dark.(I know better, just yanking his chain). He said, "Mom, I have three words for you:Edgar Allen Poe". Point made!
    +1 comment
    +1 blog follow
    +1 twitter follower
    +1 RT
    +1 facebook friend

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not a big poetry fan either but I've always liked The Raven

    1 comment
    1 gfc follower
    1 facebook

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to say that I haven't read anything of Poe's though I have heard of The Raven. I like some poetry though I don't read a lot of it.

    commented
    blog follower
    twitter follower
    facebook follower

    Larena

    ReplyDelete
  8. My favorite has always been The Cask of Amontillado - I read it as a kid, and the idea of being walled up in the catacombs (essentially, buried alive) just scared the heck out of me! :)
    -Celeste

    +1 comment
    +1 blog follow
    +1 twitter follower (@salesforcesaint)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Holy Gear-jam Batbot - what an absolutely awesome idea! Steampunk Poe sounds incredibly beautiful and I so want to see it and read it. Thank you so much for sharing about it and the opportunity to win a copy. Got my clock-gears wound and my parasol in the ready should it rain while watching the balloons ;=D
    dz59001[at]gmail[dot]com

    +1 comment
    +1 blog follow (email/GFC)
    +1 twitter (@ZDz59001)
    +1 tweeted https://twitter.com/ZDz59001/status/267006443746639874
    +1 Facebook (Denise Zaky)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds absolutely amazing! I would LOVE to read this! ^.^

    +1 Comment
    +1 Blog Follow (biochemguy22(at)yahoo(dot)com)
    +1 Twtter Follow (@1FantasyFanatic)

    ReplyDelete
  11. My two Poe favorites are The Tell Tale Heart and The Raven so I definitely will add this to my "to read" list!

    +1 Comment
    +1 tweeted
    +1 following on FB
    +1 blog follow

    ReplyDelete
  12. Omg. I want this book. Have never read anything Poe.. but this sounds amazing! And I want it. Would love to read it :) Thank you so much for the chance. <3 *Fingers crossed.*

    +1 comment
    +1 blog follow

    Love, Carina

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds awesome!!!! And I loved the raven, too!!!so good!


    +1 commented
    +1 blog follower
    +1 twitter follower
    +1 facebook follower

    aliasgirl at libero dot it

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have not read all of Poe's work but I have read some. I think out of the ones I read I remember The Telltale Heart the most.

    +1 follower(blog)
    +1 follower/friend (FB)
    +1 comment

    pefrw at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  15. My all time favorite Poe's story is The Masque of the Red Death. I remember reading it when I was about twelve years old and it fascinated me. The atmosphere, the way it was written,... It is simply brilliant.

    + 1 comment
    + blog follower (as Bone Jangles)
    + twitter follower (as nuitfunebre)

    ReplyDelete
  16. The only poem I know of his is The Raven.

    +1 comment
    +1 blog follow
    +1 twitter follower

    lesly7ch(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  17. +1 I've seen this series around, but I always get distracted before I can pay much mind to it. I'd love to see if they illustrate Annabel Lee. :-)
    +1 GFC Kayla Beck
    +1 @kaylabeck
    +1 FB Kayla Beck

    ReplyDelete
  18. That sounds like a very interesting read!

    ReplyDelete