Friday, December 21, 2012

Interview and G*veaway with PNR Author Isis Rushdan


Um….are we still here? If you’re reading this, guess the world’s not ending and I have to finish those book revisions on Elysian Fields after all! If you get a chance please head over to the Grave Tells blog today and vote for Susannah Sandlin for Most Promising New Author, Susannah Sandlin for Most Engaging Author, and Will Ludlam for Most Memorable Sidekick! 

Today I’d like to welcome author Isis Rushdan here to talk about her new novel, Kindred of the Fallen, first in a new series that sounds really awesome!

You can follow the Rafflecopter link at the bottom to enter for her tour-wide prize of a $75 Amazon gift card and a signed cover flat.

Isis was born and raised in New York City. She has a B.A. in psychology from The Ohio State University. Wanderlust has taken her across the globe and has kept her moving every three years. Fortunately, she is blessed with a husband who shares her passion for travel, movies and fantastic food. Prior to following her bliss as a writer, she had a bright career as an intelligence officer in the U.S. Air Force. She currently resides in sunny Florida, where she hopes to finally establish  roots,  with  her  husband,  son  and  canine  kiddies.  You can find her at her website; on Facebook; at her blog; and on Twitter.

ABOUT KINDRED OF THE FALLEN: A perfect firestorm of desire could save their people…or cost them their lives….Serenity’s soul-reading ability lets her easily create custom tattoos. Everything else in her life is a struggle, from trying to make it work with her best friend, Evan, to nightmares and visions that make her question her sanity. Then she meets a man who sharpens her craving for something more, but her commitment to Evan means nothing beyond sparks can exist between them….Cyrus has been watching Serenity, preparing to claim her as his Blessed mate—the other half of a split soul that, once reunited, is his only chance to break the curse that plagues his people….One moment, Serenity is confronted by armed militants firing questions she cannot answer. The next, she is safe in Cyrus’s arms, reveling in his burning kiss…and learning she isn’t even human. She is Kindred, blessed with preternatural powers, cursed to suffer the twin horrors of the blood rage and the dark veil…..Their union is the greatest hope for redemption in a thousand years, but not all Kindred want to be saved. A dark secret could snuff out their lives before love has a chance to unite them…and redeem the Kindred for all time.

Welcome, Isis!

Give us the “elevator pitch” for your latest work?
Star-crossed lovers trigger a civil war over salvation, catapulting them into the cross-hairs of danger. Kindred of the Fallen is a paranormal romance with gripping action and steamy love scenes. Instead of vampires, werewolves or faeries, I created a species to appeal to fans of angels and superheroes.

What is your favorite scene in the book?
Wow, tough question since I have a few, but I’ll go with my favorite within the first 100 pages.

All Kindred have inherent powers. Most are warriors, but those of the psi class have the ability to heal, telekinesis, precognition or some other preternatural gift. They also have a latent ability which can only be activated after connecting with the energy stream of their kabashem or the mate who is literally the other half of their soul. For example, warriors get their wings.

For Serenity and Cyrus, their latent gifts emerge in a life and death situation where both come face to face with a deadly Kindred suffering from blood rage.

Hardest scene you’ve ever written:
A major event turns tragic, tossing my characters into a heartbreaking place. Writing the scene had me bawling. I dredged up pretty painful emotions so I could make the reader feel it. When my editor told me the scene made her cry, I knew it was worth it.

What’s on your nightstand or top of your TBR pile?
Archangel’s Consort by Nalini Singh and Beautiful Creatures by Garcia and Stohl

Book you've faked reading:
Ha-ha! Silas Marner.  Sorry, I won’t give details about why, but it happened about 25 years ago.

Book you're an evangelist for:
Wild at Heart. My friend, Brinda Berry, wrote a short story for an anthology to support the Turpentine Creek Wildlife Refuge.

Book you've bought for the cover:
Miserere. I even had the author, Teresa Frohock, on my blog because I enjoyed it so much.

Book that changed your life:
The Celestine Prophecy.

Book you most want to read again for the first time:
The Vampire Lestat

Favorite book about books or writing:
The Art of War for Writers, also Plot and Structure by James Scott Bell.

What’s next?
The characters of my next paranormal romance series are starting to come to life, but first I have to finish writing the third Kindred book!

Thanks for being here today! Here’s the link to enter for Isis’ tour prizes….what are you waiting for?! Also, leave a comment here for a choice of book from the Book Horde tab above (which will growing over the holidays).

a Rafflecopter giveaway

27 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great book, Love the cover-rachel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thrilled with job the cover artist, Kanaxa, did. Every time I see it, I fall in love with it again.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. There are definitely some twists and turns on the adventure of Serenity and Cyrus. Hope you enjoy it.

      Delete
  3. That book is going to the top of the pile on my TBR list. It sounds very intriguing!! :) I can't wait to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't ask for better than the top of your TBR list :). Happy Holidays!

      Delete
  4. This cover is so pretty! Her dress reminds me of lily petals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I first saw her dress, it reminded me of wings, but I guess that's because some of the characters have wings. Looking at it again, I can definitely see the softness of lily petals as well. Enjoy your Christmas.

      Delete
  5. i loved the excerpt i received!!!

    thank you a lot and i wish you a lot of success

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Miki! So happy you enjoyed. Hope your holiday season is fantastic.

      Delete
  6. Thank you, Isis, for being here today! Your cover is terrific; can't wait to read your story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Suzanne! Thanks so much for having me here. Preternatura is a blast. Hope you enjoy the story. Have a Merry Christmas!

      Delete
  7. Enjoyed the interview very much! The book looks like it going into my TBR pile. Thanks for the contest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The interview was a lot of fun. Good luck with the contest. Enjoy the holidays!

      Delete
  8. This sounds very interesting. I'll definitely keep an eye out for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, JenM. Hope your Christmas and New Year are both wonderful.

      Delete
  9. Angels and super heroes...that's an intriguing combination. I will be looking forward to reading your book and I wish you and yours a very Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh wow, this sounds awesome! Seriously, and I love that there are no vamps (because i'm sick of them! :p) and werewolves. And the summary is so unique! I think I'll check this one out! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love stories about soulmates and not gonna lie, I was swooning over that cover for quite some time! Good interview!

    ReplyDelete
  12. love the cover! it's so pretty..

    i've read the celestine prophecy. i think it's a very heavy book.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I enjoyed the interview. Nice cover.

    bn100candg(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the cover of Kindred of the Fallen!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have a soft spot for angels! and the cover is really nice

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for the great giveaway!and I love the book cover...

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am so excited that people will get to experience your work. I have been blessed to know you personally and to know that your creativity will be read by millions (yes, millions) makes me so proud!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awesome giveaway! This book looks interesting. :)

    ReplyDelete