Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Q&A with #PNR Author Boone Brux (& W*n Kiss of the Betrayer)


First off, here are today’s blog appearances for the ongoing RIVER ROAD virtual tour! Details on tour prizes can be found in the righthand column.

***I’m interviewing DJ Jaco over at Book Passion for Life today, where she’s very concerned about her new neighbor Quince Randolph and admits her weakness for a certain French pirate. Comment here for a chance at the commenter’s prizes (see column at right for tour prizes).

***Also--very cool--River Road is being reviewed over at Parajunkee's View today, and Rachel has designed some great buttons you can download for your websites: Team Jake, Team Alex, or Team Jean Lafitte. Hmm....which one?

Now! I’m excited about today’s guest author Boone Brux. I first “met” Boone a few years ago when we were on a joint blog with some other authors and she is, seriously, one of the funniest and most creative people you’d ever hope to meet. And we finally did get a chance to meet in person at Authors After Dark this past August. Boone lives in Alaska, has bull mooses fighting over turf in her backyard, and her first novel, Shield of Fire, was sheer awesomeness and one of my favorite fantasy romance reads last year. So I can’t wait to read the new one, Kiss of the Betrayer. Oh, and did I mention you could win a copy? You can learn more about Boone at her website, on Twitter, Facebook, and Goodreads. 

ABOUT KISS OF THE BETRAYER: For fifteen years Luc Le Daun has blamed himself for the death of the woman he loved. His secret guilt has led him into a life of danger, risking all and committing to none….Killing Luc Le Daun has been all Jade Kendell has thought about for years. But when her plan goes awry and she's brought into the Bringers' fold, her own dark secret threatens to be revealed. Desire for a better life wars with a promise made long before she understood the ramifications….In a deadly mission, Jade and Luc embark on a journey into the Shadow World. As they attempt the impossible, ignoring the attraction growing between them becomes harder to deny. The slightest misstep could mean the loss of their souls and give the Demon King exactly what he needs to open the Abyss of Souls and annihilate the Bringers.

Welcome, Boone!

Thanks for having me, Suzanne. You know you’re one of my favorites!!!

What is your favorite scene in the new book?
In Kiss of the Betrayer I loved writing the hot pools scene. It starts off with Jade basically falling face-first off her horse because she’s not used to riding. Then it transitions into her and Luc undressing and getting into the warm pools. There’s no sex, just lots of heated tension.

Hardest scene you’ve ever written:
There were a lot of them in Shield of Fire, but I think the opening scene in that book was the hardest. It went through many different rewrites. First when I was entering contests and the Golden Heart. Next when I got a contract and my first editor had at it. Then when the second editor made firm suggestions. Then there was the third, fourth, and fifth editor. Yeah, it’s pretty much perfect now. And even if it’s not, I don’t want to know.

What’s on your nightstand or top of your TBR pile?
LOL, I have about twenty Woman’s World magazines and a lot of dust on top of my nightstand.

Your five favorite authors: (Suz: No, I really didn’t bribe her!)
Christopher Moore
Janet Evanovich
Darynda Jones
J.K. Rowling
Suzanne Johnson ;)

Book you've faked reading:
Pretty much any text book I was supposed to read in high school. I was your classic underachiever academically. Look at me now, spelling and making full sentences and everything.

Book you're an evangelist for:
Christopher Moore’s Bite Me. The main character is a sixteen-year-old Goth girl named Abbey Normal. The way he captured her voice is hysterical. It’s the third book in that series and definitely my favorite book of all times. Did you think it would be a book from the Oprah Book Club? (Suz: Um…not on a bet!)

Book you've bought for the cover:
Wow, too many to count. In the 80’s it was anything with Fabio on the front.

Book you most want to read again for the first time:
The whole Harry Potter series. I loved those books and waiting for the sequels was a bittersweet pleasure. I also hadn’t started writing much yet and could spend hours curled up in a chair just reading and enjoying the story. Now I have too much to do and get very little time to read.

Favorite book about books or writing:
Woe Is I. I can’t tell you how much basic stuff I learned from that book. Speak slowly and draw me pictures, eventually I’ll get it.

What’s next?
I have two books coming out in January. One is through Entangled Publishing, titled Suddenly Beautiful. It’s about a demi-goddess who doesn’t know she’s a demi-goddess until her boss, also a demi-god, drinks Ambrosia and makes sweet monkey love to her all night. When he doesn’t remember anything in the morning, she decides she needs to win him back. Subplots in this story are making the antagonist bark like a dog, modeling contracts, and a two-chapter sex scene. Oh yeah! 

My other book is the first in a new series set in Alaska and is, titled To Catch Her Death. It’s a Dead Like Me meets Sarah Palin, but not as scary. Lisa Carron is a thirty-five year old, widowed mother of three and she’s more or less forced to become a grim reaper due to her financial situation. Her job is to reap people who have died in ridiculous ways. Her motto: So many stupid people, so little time to reap them. This is a very fun book with lots of laughs.

Thanks for having me here today, Suzanne!

Thanks, Boone! Holy cow, I want to read that new Alaska series NOW! Want to win a copy of Kiss of the Betrayer (or the first book in the series, Shield of Fire)? What’s the funniest book or series you’ve read? Up to five entries possible: +1 for comment, +1 for blog follow, +1 for Twitter follow, +1 for a Tweet or RT about the contest, +1 for a Facebook follow. Contests end at midnight CDT U.S. on Saturday.

22 comments:

  1. Ohh! I really want the first book. <3 Sigh. It seems so good :D Uhm.. well.. I'm not sure I have read any funny books o.O Maybe Gustav Gloom? :) (MG book. <3)

    +1 comment
    +1 blog follow

    Love, Carina

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't usually go for "funny" books, but my book-swapping friend is lending me some Christopher Moore next.

    Since I haven't read the first book yet, if I win I'd like that one!

    +1 blog follow
    +1 twitter follow
    +1 RT (lenamoster)
    +1 facebook

    ReplyDelete
  3. new discovery for me so i would be happy to win book 1 ( if print^^;;) to discover the series ( if it's preferable that they are read in order)

    thank you a lot
    +1comment
    +1 blog follow gfc:miki

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I adored Shield of Fire, and my copy of Kiss of the Betrayer is on its way from Amazon. I didn't realize you'd be releasing new books in January! I loved Dead Like Me, so can't wait for To Catch Her Death!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Suzanne, it was a blast to be here. Thank you so much for having me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dead like Me was a terrific show! :) Hmmm, I don't have a series in mind, per se, but since I'm a romance girl at heart, Julie Anne Long and Jill Shalvis write wonderful,funny, and romantic books!

    Thanks for the giveaway! :)

    +1 comment
    +1 GFC/blog follow
    +1 twitter follower

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of the series that I am reading right now, that constantly keeps me giggling is Darynda Jones's series. Charley just keeps me in stitches. I have had an eye on this series series for a while now. Thanks for the awesome giveaway! bpatrick64113@sbcglobal.net +1 Comment, +1 Follower

    ReplyDelete
  8. Boone, thank you for being here and it is a pleasure to meet you and get a look at your book "Kiss of the Betrayer" This book will go on my to read list.
    comment
    GFC blog follower
    facebook follower
    twitter follower
    subscriber of Preternatura
    Happy reading and writing*
    Teresa
    morris1963tess@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Darynda Jones's series, love this book and the humor in this book :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. any of the Gena Showalter Lord of the Underworld books

    I follow the blog.

    bn100candg(at)hotmail(dot)cm

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved Dead Like Me, I even have the DVDs. The funniest series I have read has to be How To Date A Naked Werewolf series by Molly Harper. I'd love to win Kiss of the Betrayer. Sounds fantastic.
    +1 comment
    +1 GFC follow
    +1 Facebook follower
    +1 Twitter follower

    e.balinski(at)att(dot)net

    ReplyDelete
  12. Everything I've read by Shelly Laurenston is funny...they are the funniest books I've ever read!

    I follow via GFC, email, Facebook and Twitter

    taccb_1981@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. The funniest book I think I have read is Call of The Highland Moon my Kendra Leigh Castle. Even though it is not meant to be funny, there were parts in it that had me laughing the hardest I have ever laughed at a book.
    Following through GFC, Email, Facebook, Twitter & tweeted about the contest.

    holly.collins1(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  14. i think janet evanovich books. shes great and funny on stephanie plum series.
    +1 comment
    +1gfc follower
    +1 twitter follower (wind83)
    +1fb follower
    thanks so much

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like a great series. Thanks for sharing!! A couple series I have found funny are the Besy series by MJ Davidson, The Aisling Grey series, and Discworld.

    -comment
    -follower
    -twitter follower
    -tweet https://twitter.com/DonnaS1/status/276172716179083264
    -FB follow

    bacchus76 at myself dot com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love Gini Koch's Alien/Kitty Katt series - all her books are full of laugh out loud humor, action, intrigue and romance, with lots of great aliens thrown in for fun.

    Barbed1951 at aol dot com
    GFC: Barbara E.
    Twitter: @BarbaraElness
    Facebook: Barbara Elness

    ReplyDelete
  17. Terry Pratchett's Discworld series

    +4:comment; blog n twitter follow, tweeted:
    https://twitter.com/LindaThum/status/276228430876536832

    thumbelinda03@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. The funniest book I have read? Dara Joy - Ritual of Proof. Sci fi romance, with Victorian times, but then different. The women have the power, the men are the secluded virgins. I loved it.
    For a series, anything Gini Koch has written :)

    +4 comment, blog follower, twitter follower, facebook friend.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the Charley Davidson series by Darynda Jones.

    +3 comment, blog follow, twitter follow

    ReplyDelete
  20. I just finished Remember Me by Sophie Kinsella. Loved it and it had some great laugh out Loud moments

    +1 comment
    +1 gfc follower
    +1 twitter follow
    +1 tweeted
    https://twitter.com/joleneallcock/status/277106697594617856

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love Stephenie Plum series! awesome :)

    +1 comment
    +1 blog follower
    +1 twitter follower
    +1 fb lucia pannacci

    aliasgirl at libero dot it

    ReplyDelete
  22. I don't have a funniest book in mind but I like humour in books by Jill Shalvis, Sophie Kinsella, Jeaniene Frost...

    +1 comment
    +1 blog follow
    +1 twitter follow as @chibii9
    +1 retweeted your tweet

    chibipooh(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete