Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Review & G*veaway: ANGEL IN CHAINS, by Cynthia Eden


First, only one stop on the River Road virtual tour today, a promo and review with Queen of All She Reads. Check it out, and enter for the tour-wide prizes and the daily commenter’s prize.

And, our favorite undead pirate Jean Lafitte has been nominated as "Best Supporting Character of 2012" at Paranormal Haven. Vote daily--he has some stiff competition (sigh. yes. Jenks.) And thanks to Roger for letting me know about the contest!

Next, if you’re in the East Alabama/West Georgia area today, stop by the Haley Center on the Auburn University campus. I’ll be signing Royal Street and River Road from 1-3 p.m. in the AU Bookstore as part of the store’s Holiday Open House. There’s free parking at the Jordan-Hare Stadium deck, and a free shuttle will be running back and forth to Haley Center. There will be other authors, refreshments and free gift-wrapping, too, so check it out!

Today, I’m looking at one of my recent favorite reads, Cynthia Eden’s Angel in Chains. This is the third book in Cynthia’s Fallen series, but stands alone perfectly well. In fact, I read it first and then went looking for the first two. And—guess what! It’s set in New Orleans and I didn’t find a single thing to quibble with. (Yeah, I know, right?) Cynthia Eden is a fellow Alabama author whom I had the pleasure of meeting at Authors After Dark this past August, and a nicer person you could never hope to meet. So I’m pleased to offer a copy of Angel in Chains to a reader today. 

ABOUT ANGEL IN CHAINS:  As a fallen Angel of Death, Azrael is cursed to walk the earth alone in search of redemption. One night, as he wanders the streets of New Orleans, he discovers a woman surrounded by panther shifters. No longer able to contain the anger simmering within, Az summons his dark powers and attacks, determined to protect this innocent human from certain death….Only Jade Pierce is no delicate flower. She's spent years learning to survive and fight the evil forces sent by her ex-lover who refuses to let her go. But after seeing Az in action, she figures she could use a little supernatural help. And so she plans a course of seduction guaranteed to arouse his interest and his angelic passions. . .

A SCENE I’D READ TWICE: There’s an early scene in the book where Az has saved Jade for reasons he doesn’t quite understand, has taken her back to his apartment, and realizes the panther-shifters are coming for him. He’s so badass in his scene, you gotta love it.

I DIDN’T QUITE BUY: A minor quibble. Az is a fallen angel and has never had sex, right? But he’s awfully, um, skilled when he finally gets around to it. Then again, he’s an angel, not a hermit. So I’m willing to suspend disbelief in favor of some, uh, skillz.

THE WORLD: This is a world where most humans aren’t aware of the Others, but the Others are well aware of each other. Actually, normal humans don’t factor into the story much, although they unwittingly have a lot at stake in the battles. Jade, although human, is far from normal, and she has a Destiny, not to mention a fixated ex-boyfriend—the alpha panther-shifter with an angel-sized chip on his shoulder. I love fallen angels. I’m not tired of angel stories yet, and Azrael is a seriously badass fallen angel of death. There is also a witch of questionable loyalties.

THE CHARACTERS: Jade’s a bit prickly and it took me a while to warm up to her, although I couldn’t help but identify with her ongoing attempts to escape the uber-creepy, dangerous stalker ex boyfriend. Az is hotness personified. He has that whole “I’m death” bad boy thing going, plus his own inner turmoil. Can saving Jade provide the redemption he desires to return him to heaven, or is loving her worth giving up his dreams?

GENERAL THOUGHTS: I enjoyed Angel in Chains enough to go in search of the two earlier books in the series. It’s a great paranormal romance with a strong urban fantasy backstory…and it doesn’t screw up its New Orleans location.

Want to win a copy of Angel in Chains (or the first in the series)? Have you read an angel romance (fallen or otherwise)? Up to five entries possible: +1 for comment, +1 for blog follow, +1 for Twitter follow, +1 for a Tweet or RT about the contest, +1 for a Facebook follow. Contests end at midnight CDT U.S. on Saturday.

20 comments:

  1. i haven't read this serie yet but i follow Cynthia and i would be very happy to win this book ( or the first one^^)

    Good luck with you even! a lot of success!!

    1comment
    1gfc:miki

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only angelromance I read is Nalini Singh Angel Guild Hunter Serie.

    +1 comment

    Glassheart18ca@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read the Fallen Angel series by J.R. Ward and enjoy her concept of good battling evil involving the seven deadly sins.

    I haven't read this one, but will put it on my TBR list!

    Thanks,
    Leanne

    +1 comment
    +1 GFC: Leanne Goon
    +1 Twitter: @leannessf
    +1 Tweeted: https://twitter.com/leannessf/status/278578509478248449
    +1 FB: Leanne Goon

    ReplyDelete
  4. I adore Sharon Shinn's Samaria books! I love her world building in those. I also like Nalini Singh's Guild hunter series.

    +4 comment, follower, twitter follower, tweeted
    https://twitter.com/SullivanMcPig/status/278598003848261632

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a Huge fan of Cynthia and this series! I seriously have been dying to get my hands on the new book! Thanks for the awesome giveaway. bpatrick64113@sbcglobal.net +1 Comment, +1 Follower

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have read a couple of YA Fallen Angels series.And Have a few adult ones I need to read.
    +1 comment
    +1 blog follower
    +1 twitter follower
    +1 Facebook-Elaine Geight
    +1 tweet
    https://twitter.com/elaing8/status/278661550821216256

    elaing8(at)netscape(dot)net

    ReplyDelete
  7. Angel romance I read was from Nalini singh's book, so far I enjoy it :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've read the first of JR Ward's Fallen Angels series!

    I follow via GFC, Facebook and Twitter

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Samaria series by Sharon Shinn was quite good.
    +4: comment, twitter n blog follow, tweeted
    https://twitter.com/LindaThum/status/278766122893996032

    thumbelinda03@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lol, Jean Lafitte is not really a "supporting" character, he just wants to get DJ in his bed. Or ship. Still, Paranormal Haven is one of my daily stops, so I will go and vote soon.

    I do love Angel books. For instance those by Nalini Singh and JR Ward, but there is also a very very good and sweet one by Annette Blair, called Bedeviled Angel. Read it twice already.

    +4: comment, blog follower, twitter follower and facebook friend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have yet to read this series, but I've heard so many great things about it! I would love to win the first book in the series. I love J.R. Wards Angel series and Heather Killough-Walden's angel series

    +1 comment
    +1 GFC follower
    +1 twitter follower
    +1 facebook follow- Jolene Allcock
    + tweeted
    https://twitter.com/joleneallcock/status/279131164973875200

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have not read an angel romance book yet. Looking forward to starting this series.
    +4- comment, blog follow, Facebook friend, and Twitter follow

    e.balinski(at)att(dot)net

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love her books and cant wait to read this.

    -comment
    -follower
    -twitter follower
    -FB follower
    -tweet https://twitter.com/DonnaS1/status/279461039492431874

    bacchus76 vat myself dot com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ok...I just voted for Jean...I do love Jenks..sigh..but it was Jean's time for a vote :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jean says, "Merci." He probably would have a few things to say about Jenks, but we'll have no Jenks-bashing here since I love him, too :-)

      Delete
  15. Yes, I have.

    I follow the blog.

    bn100candg(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Angel romance! Yes, I've read PLENTY. Nalini Singh, JR ward... and tons of YA, too.

    -comment
    -follower
    -twitter follower
    -FB follower

    aliasgirl at libero dot it

    ReplyDelete
  17. i don't recall i ever read a cynthia eden before.. but i think i'll try it

    +3 commented, blog follower, fb follower

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yes, I've read a lot of angel romance. Nalini Singh writes my favourites.

    +1 Comment
    +1 GFC follower
    +1 FB follower: Arantza C
    +1 Twitter follower: Sparima
    +1 Tweet: https://twitter.com/Sparima/status/280173193921175552

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've read the Guild Hunter series by Nalini Singh :)

    +1 comment
    +1 blog follow
    +1 twitter follower as @chibiii9

    ReplyDelete