Sunday, January 6, 2013

COVER REVEAL: Elysian Fields by Suzanne Johnson

So, how many of you guessed what the surprise was? (If you're a Facebook friend or follower you got the sneak preview, so your guess doesn't count!)

So DJ's flashing the cleavage and hanging out in creepy old New Orleans Six Flags, which has been standing abandoned after sitting under eight or ten feet of floodwater after Katrina seven years ago. It's a major setting for Elysian Fields, book three in the Sentinels of New Orleans series, and a totally creepy setting deserves a somewhat creepy cover. At least artist Cliff Nielsen went for carousel horses instead of big scary clown heads! As always, I love the detail in the artwork--click on it to see it larger and check out all the eerie detail in the background. And Charlie is literally smokin'! So....what do you think?

Official release date: August 13. Sounds like forever! And here's the official blurb:

An undead serial killer comes for DJ in this thrilling third installment of Suzanne Johnson’s Sentinels of New Orleans series
     The mer feud has been settled, but life in South Louisiana still has more twists and turns than the muddy Mississippi.
     New Orleanians are under attack from a copycat killer mimicking the crimes of a 1918 serial murderer known as the Axeman of New Orleans. Thanks to a tip from the undead pirate Jean Lafitte, DJ Jaco knows the attacks aren’t random—an unknown necromancer has resurrected the original Axeman of New Orleans, and his ultimate target is a certain blonde wizard. Namely, DJ.
     Combatting an undead serial killer as troubles pile up around her isn’t easy. Jake Warin’s loup-garou nature is spiraling downward, enigmatic neighbor Quince Randolph is acting weirder than ever, the Elders are insisting on lessons in elven magic from the world’s most annoying wizard, and former partner Alex Warin just turned up on DJ’s to-do list. Not to mention big maneuvers are afoot in the halls of preternatural power.
     Suddenly, moving to the Beyond as Jean Lafitte’s pirate wench could be DJ’s best option.

50 comments:

  1. Wonderful cover! Cliff Nielsen has done another great job. This was my second guess. August is definitely too far away. Thanks Suzanne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. I agree, Cliff N does a great job! So...what was your first guess?

      Delete
    2. An announcement that there will be three more books in the Sentinels series.

      Delete
    3. Oh, from your lips to God's ear!! The publisher is on the fence right now and might not make a decision until they see how Elysian Fields sells. Fingers crossed!

      Delete
    4. What are they thinking?!? We have to have more than three books. Can we sic DJ and Charlie on them to be sure they make the right decision?

      Delete
  2. Great cover! I must ask River Road for my birthday so I'm all up to date when this book releases.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, I think River Road would make a great birthday present :-)

      Delete
  3. Terrific cover, Suzanne! Huge congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's beautiful. Congratulations, Suzanne!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The cover is perfect as always ^^ i'm sure after reading teh book i will find it perfectly fitting like for the first 2 ^^

    i'm sure your editor will make the right decisions....or small weregator will find them ( but we will help for the promotion and such just in case^^)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Yes, we'll sic a small weregator on them if they do not make the right decision. Love that idea :-)

      The cover does fit the book very well. This book REALLY starts turning up the heat.

      Delete
  6. Thanks @Christine and @Andrea! I keep thinking DJ's gotten breast implants and forgot to tell me--LOL. I'm getting used to it, though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a great cover Suzanne! Absolutely gorgeous. The cover is quite haunting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, it's haunting...and it really fits the book :-)

      Delete
  8. Absolutely stunning cover, Suzanne!!! I want to grab it right away! :)))

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks great! Cliff Nielsen has done a great job with these covers. I admit at first glance I thought DJ had the Southern Belle big hair, lol, then I realized it was from the wind. It's been a long week...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha--I did the same thing. My first response was "seriously big hair day," then I blew it up and looked at in more detail and realized it was that "hurricane wind" blowing :-)

      Delete
  10. this cover is so gorgeous and the synopsis makes me want to read it now! Can't wait! thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I just finished final revisions on the book, and I'm loving it so much. Can't wait for people to read it!

      Delete
  11. that was the surprise? It's awesome! I think this is my favourite cover! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  12. DJ definitely has a wild hair day, but I do like the cover a lot. And wow, 8 months is far away. The red really jumps out of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, poor girl has a REALLY hard time in this book, so she earns that hair. LOL. I do like the colors.

      Delete
  13. Fabulous cover, Suzanne! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ok, I think this might be my favourite. And that is saying a lot, because I loved the first two!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Allison! I gotta say, the more I look at it the more I like it :-)

      Delete
    2. Love your new cover!!! I am looking forward to this series!!!
      Happy reading and writing*
      Teresa
      morris1963tess@yahoo.com

      Delete
  15. What an awesome cover! It certainly reflects the creepiness you are relaying the the story. August is a long time to wait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Liz! Yeah, this book has a serious creep factor. Must be that Stephen King I'm reading :-)

      Delete
  16. Oh my goodness...this is awesome Suzanne! All your covers have been fantastic :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tanya--I have been really blessed with great covers.

      Delete
  17. I LOVE IT I LOVE IT I LOVE IT!!! Beautiful as all the other covers but this one is special as I can't help but feel mezmarized by the colors and things going on! You know I love your books but hot damn this cover is award winning!! I am THRILLED for you! And have some faith! I think you'll do fantastic and your publisher will sign you for more- cuz if they don't they'll have this crazy Louisiana girl to deal with!! :) YAY!!!!!! I know it'll be worth the wait!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL--I've already had them threatened with a weregator, and now I'll sic you on them. Thanks--so glad you like the cover, even if it made you say a bad word :-)

      Delete
  18. I love this cover...it's my favorite of all three covers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Timitra--it's getting a lot of votes!

      Delete
  19. Lovely! I really love this one and I think they just keep getting better!!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gorgeous!
    And I agree...creepy carousel horses are WAY more palatable than creepy clowns. Or carnival workers. Or drowned zombie amusement park visitors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL--the funny this is, when you walk into Six Flags, you're greeted by a life-sized Zombie cutout, and their are ginormous clown heads everywhere. Uber-creepfest.

      Delete
  21. Woowww... love it, can't wait :D

    ReplyDelete
  22. It's perfect, Suzanne. Just perfect. Congrats on another amazing cover.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I will add a WOW to all the other remarks. :)

    ReplyDelete